On why I still have insomnia (but still I consider things are not as bad)
So, I've been mostly off E2 for a few months. My last node was a daylog (February 27, 2015) and that was only to expose how shitty life was at the moment.
I do not mean to bore you, only to inform you of what has happened since.
- For some reason I still don't understand, a few noders offered their help for the dire situation I was in those days. I won't mention their names here, they know who they are. However, I must say that your help was huge, and not only in the financial sense, but in an emotional sense: you made me see someone does care for me. I will never be able to repay you, but I'll try my best to do so.
- As expected, the company I was working in closed down. I was payed my wages and compensations (two months after I was terminated, but still). This money was good to pay all my debts and to live off for a few months, something that would be crucial for...
- Wikimania 2015 was a major success! After some 18 months of planning, we were host to the biggest event in the international Wikimedia community and, save for a few problems (mostly rain and people not reading legal warnings) we managed to exceed expectations and set a very high bar for future events. I feel kinda sorry for next year's team, as their planning is, IMHO, lacking and without real efforts beyond a few sponsorships. I fear that Wikimania 2016 might end up as a fiasco, but if it does I'll have my yearly dose of Schadenfreude.
- After Wikimania, I've been trying to get a new job and... so far I've been unsuccessful. It's not that there are not jobs out there, but I don't want to go back to the kind of work that I used to do. To me, it would be a step backwards in my professional life. I don't know yet what else I can do, but I'll keep on trying.
- Wikimania also left me with greater external pressure on improving my work on the Wikimedia projects, mostly in the Spanish Wikipedia. Now that I don't have 24/7 internet access (due to some problem with our ISP), I'm prioritizing my internet time on editing wikipedia and applying for jobs and scholarships...
- ...because if everything goes well, I might be leaving for England or Scotland next year in order to pursue my Master's degree. I get a bit dizzy just writing it, I'm excited for this prospect even if the odds of it happening are against me. I don't care, it's a goal that will improve my life no matter what happens.
So that's it for a quick update in my life. I haven't forgotten E2, I haven't forgotten all of you. I miss you, I miss the chatterbox and I miss the late night conversations and the occasional Pretend you're Xyzzy game. I haven't left this place and I intend to actually transcribe the many things I've written in notebooks these past months. But not yet, I still need to regain my balance, so that writing imbalances it once again.
Until then, thank you everyone. I love all of you