In September 1998, the United States Bureau of Engraving and Printing released a new twenty dollar bill. New security features to prevent counterfeiting include the following (assuming bill is face-side up):

  • Holding the bill up to light, a watermark identical to Andrew Jackson's portrait is visible in the whitespace to the right.
  • Red and blue threads are embedded throughout the bill.
  • A vertically embedded Mylar thread left of the portrait glows under ultraviolet light, and can be seen against a bright background. The words "USA TWENTY" and a flag with the number 20 in the star field are printed on the thread.
  • The number 20 on the lower right corner is printed in ink made of color shifting flakes - it looks green when viewed straight on, but black at an angle.
  • The background of Andrew Jackson's portrait, and the background of the White House on the reverse side are printed in fine lines that are intended to make it difficult to replicate.
  • Within the number 20 on the lower left corner of the front side, the words "USA 20" are repeated in microprint.
  • The words "The United States of America" are microprinted on the lower edge ornamentation of the oval framing Jackson's portrait.

Security Features of the New New $20 Bill:

  • The bill is now colored: It is green on the outer half, and a bland yellow in the center. On the left front, there's a blue image of the eagle holding three arrows and a branch with eight leaves on it.
  • In the bottom corner, there is the number "20" in gold/copper ink. When the bill is held at an angle, this ink turns green.
  • There's a symbol that contains the eagle and a patriotic looking shield in green ink. This ink doesn't change colors.
  • On the right of the bill, a watermark of President Jackson can be seen in bright light.
  • The actual picture of Jackson is now off center in the bill, and has no frame surrounding it. In addition, the picture extends onto the bottom border of the bill. At the bottom, there's the phrase "Jackson".
  • All over the bill, there are small little lines that are hexagons, wrapped around and interlocking with eachother. It is kind of hard to explain here.
  • On the right of the bill, behind the treasury seal, there is the phrase "TWENTY USA" and below that, "USA TWENTY".
  • On the back, there are little "20"s surrounding the picture of the White House. They are gold.
  • The numbers "20" on the back of the bill are printed with thin lines, to give the illusion of being fully green.

Sources: Having a $20.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.