Either that which is kept from the knowledge of the majority or a specific minority or individual, or an adjective describing such a piece of information. Compare to surprise, wherein the information is planned to be revealed.

If the secrecy of a piece of information is not beneficial to all those that know the information, chances are that the secret shall not be kept. This is especially true in high school or in the world of buisness.

Among the online community, in the so-called information age, secrets are seen as bad things. For many, the hacker manifesto summarises there views: information wants to be free. Others see the Orwellian invasion of privacy as one of the most horrible aspects of modern society. Regardless of one's stance, it is true that secrets are becoming more and more difficult to keep.

Se"cret (?), a. [F. secret (cf. Sp.& Pg. secreto, It. secreto, segreto), fr. L. secretus, p.p. of secrernere to put apart, to separate. See Certain, and cf. Secrete, Secern.]

1.

Hidden; concealed; as, secret treasure; secret plans; a secret vow.

Shak.

The secret things belong unto the Lord our God; but those things which are revealed belong unto us. Deut. xxix. 29.

2.

Withdraw from general intercourse or notice; in retirement or secrecy; secluded.

There, secret in her sapphire cell, He with the Nais wont to dwell. Fenton.

3.

Faithful to a secret; not inclined to divulge or betray confidence; secretive.

[R.]

Secret Romans, that have spoke the word, And will not palter. Shak.

4.

Separate; distinct.

[Obs.]

They suppose two other divine hypostases superior thereunto, which were perfectly secret from matter. Cudworth.

Syn. -- Hidden; concealed; secluded; retired; unseen; unknown; private; obscure; recondite; latent; covert; clandestine; privy. See Hidden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Se"cret, n. [F. secret (cf. Pr. secret, Sp. & Pg. secreto, It. secreto, segreto), from L. secretum. See Secret, a.]

1.

Something studiously concealed; a thing kept from general knowledge; what is not revealed, or not to be revealed.

To tell our secrets is often folly; to communicate those of others is treachery. Rambler.

2.

A thing not discovered; what is unknown or unexplained; a mystery.

All secrets of the deep, all nature's works. Milton

3. pl.

The parts which modesty and propriety require to be concealed; the genital organs.

In secret, in a private place; in privacy or secrecy; in a state or place not seen; privately.

Bread eaten in secret is pleasant. Prov. ix. 17.

 

© Webster 1913.


Se"cret (?), v. t.

To keep secret.

[Obs.]

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.