Second curtain flash (also known as rear curtain flash) is a camera setting found on top-of-the-line 35mm (and digital) SLR and quite a few medium format photo cameras. The setting ensures that flash photography of moving objects while using long shutter times behaves the way we would expect the result to be.

On a regular flashgun exposure, the flash fires when the shutter opens. This is perfectly acceptable for 99% of all flash photography, but some times you would want the flash to fire just as the shutter closes;

Imagine that you move your arm very fast downwards, in a Karate chop where you try to break a log of wood. If you took a picture of that, using a long shutter time and a flash. What would you expect the result to be? If you use a regular (first curtain) flash system, you will in fact see the hand clearly on top of the movenement, while the whole wood-chopping action would be a blur of motion.

If you use second curtain, you would freeze the hand's motion just where the motion stops - in other words, you get the blurred motion of the arm, ending in a "frozen" image of the arm on its way down.

When you see the "speed lines" behind cartoon characters, the cartoonist is in fact mimicking the second shutter flash effect.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.