Seattle Pacific University (hereafter SPU) is a small Free Methodist-based private school in north Queen Anne. The Ballard and Freemont communities are also nearby and readily accessible. Because of it's Christian basis, ministry activities and events are highly encouraged. Student ministry coordinators are present on every floor of every dormitory, and peer advisors are encouraged to have a strong Christian faith.

SPU was founded in 1891 by the Oregon and Washington Conference of the Free Methodist Church. It was initially named Seattle Seminary. The first college-level classes were offered in 1910, and the school name was expanded to "The Seattle Seminary and College" in 1913. Two years later, the name changed again to Seattle Pacific College. Finally in 1977 the name was changed to Seattle Pacific University.

SPU's four-year liberal arts program was fully accredited by the Northwest Association of Secondary and Higher Schools in 1936. SPU is currently known as a liberal arts college.


Presidents of SPU:

  • Alexander A. Beers, Ph.B., M.A. ..............1893-1916
  • Orrin E. Tiffany, Ph.D .......................1916-1926
  • C. Hoyt Watson, Litt.D .......................1926-1959
  • C. Dorr Demaray, Litt.D ......................1959-1968
  • David L. McKenna, Ph.D .......................1968-1982
  • David C. Le Shana, Ph.D ......................1982-1991
  • Curtis A. Martin, Ph.D .......................1991-1994
  • E. Arthur Self, Ph.D .........................1994-1995
  • Philip W. Eaton, Ph.D ........................1995-(Present)


Stats:

Enrollment: (approximately) 4000, over 1700 of which live on campus.
Dorms: Ashton, Emerson, Hill, Moyer (other on-campus apartments).
Academic System: Quarterly operation (summer is usually considered an 'off' term); 180 credits to graduate: (minimum)60 upper division, 45 within a major field of study; 15 'foundations' credits required which are 'religious' in nature.


The school's contact info:

Seattle Pacific University
3307 3rd. Ave. W.
Seattle, WA 98119
1-800-366-3344
admissions@spu.edu

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.