The scotch egg is a tribute to the ingenuity of the highlanders and their kin. Here is a whole meal that will easily fit in your pocket and is nourishing enough so that one or two can satisfy a hungry man till supper. Some people seem afraid of the very idea of a deep fried egg wrapped in sausage, but have no trouble at all eating sausage patties and eggs at Denny's.
- Mix together pork, sage, fennel seed, salt and pepper. Divide into 8 portions and form into flat, thin patties.
- Place egg in patty and roll egg and meat until egg is completly covered with meat. Repeat on each egg.
- Chill eggs and meat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Dredge egg and meat balls in bread crumbs, then in beaten eggs and in bread crumbs again.
- Chill for another 15 minutes to allow the coating to firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Heat oil to deep fry temperature, approximately 350 F. Fry eggs a couple at a time until golden brown.
- Drain eggs on a paper towel or wire rack.
- Transfer eggs to roasting pan and bake for 10 minutes.
Serve warm or chilled. These eggs are a hearty addition to a lunch box
or picnic basket