The undisclosed dangers in
Scientology's initiatory techniques
(FACTNet)

      Scientology's control techniques are derived from a collection of sources--some benign, others not. Some of the more benign techniques are plagiarized without recognition from a mish-mash of pop psychology and other psychological and psychiatric schools. 

      After an individual is hooked by a bait and switch come-on, Scientology uses exercises that covertly put the receiver in hypnotic trance. The purpose of covert trance induction is to increase the subject's suggestibility and to control the subject's resources. These techniques are derived from traditional hypnosis and from cult rituals used to produce fanatical loyalty from the inititation rites of past secret societies. 

      These coercive control techniques alone could explain the many reports of psychosis and suicide in Scientology, but Hubbard went far beyond traditional techniques. He studied and wrote a book on brainwashing, and secretly boasted that his methods could turn people into "willing slaves." 

      Hubbard combined these new control techniques with the bizarre occult cosmology of his satanic and secret society past, high pressure sales techniques, traditional deception (con man) techniques, and advanced sociological and psychological stress techniques. (For more details on how Scientology uses trance and brainwashing see the Internet report called "Coercive Persuasion and Scientology".) 

      Hubbard boldly experimented with first generation Russian and Korean brainwashing processes on unknowing members under a cloak of "religion." His innovative experimentation helped produce a second generation of thought reform and mind control techniques. These new methods are considerably more dangerous than their first generation predecessors. While developing what Scientology calls its secret L-12 initiation, Hubbard allegedly said that if the initiators performed this rite incorrectly you might as well build a pine box for the individual receiving it. 

      These second generation thought reform programs are commonly called "coercive persuasion" in the courts. In United States v. Lee 455 U.S. 252, 257-258 (1982), the California Supreme Court found that: 

      "when a person is subjected to coercive persuasion without his knowledge or consent... he may develop serious and sometimes irreversible physical and psychiatric disorders, up to and including schizophrenia, self-mutilation, and suicide." 
      The goal of all coercive persuasion programs is to produce target compliance and control of the target's resources by holding the target at a point of maximum psychological stress, without inducing psychosis. Unfortunately, the second generation coercive programs have increased the chance of error because their targets tend to be less well monitored, and the advanced techniques used to induce stress are more powerful and less predictable in their effects upon individuals. 

      In coercive persuasion programs, the main attack is done through frequent and intense attempts to cause a person to reevaluate the most central aspects of their experience of self and their prior conduct in NEGATIVE ways. Efforts are designed to destabilize and undermine the subject's basic consciousness, reality awareness, world view, emotional control, and defense mechanisms. These tactics are engineered to induce the individual to reinterpret his or her life history and to adopt a new (often irrational) version of causality. 

      On Scientology's secret initiations, the individual is told (while under the suggestibility of hypnotic trance and stress) that he or she is really not one individual but a composite of hundreds, possibly thousands, or even tens of thousands of alien beings (called "body thetans" or "BTs.") These beings are trapped in his or her body as the result of a galactic war that occurred 76 million years ago (OT 3, and OT 5.) Individuals subjected to these initiation techniques are told (while vulnerable) that these alien beings are fighting for control of the individual's body and identity, that these alien beings can make them act insane or become terminally ill, and that only Scientology has the technology to safely "remove" these alien beings from their bodies. 

      Members spend years of their lives of exposure to these secret levels, talking to their various body parts, trying to get these alien beings out of their bodies. They are repeatedly told that they could go insane and die if they do anything procedurally wrong while trying to remove these other beings. 

      In these secret initiation levels, to more effectively attack the person's core concepts of self, Hubbard's methods trick the person in trance into believing he is not who he always thought he was. To fragment the individual's personality and integrity on order to facilitate better initiate control, Hubbard induces a hypnotic state of multiple personality similar to an artificial schizophrenia. Many observers report Scientologists switching "personalities" dramatically and abruptly.

      It is no wonder people could become psychotic or suicidal when tricked into deeply believing and acting upon this alien being story when their suggestibility is at its highest and their defenses at their lowest. 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.