Schoolhouse Chess

    Purpose:
  • Help elementary students develop learning and thinking skills by teaching them chess.
  • Create and update chess curriculum with diagrams, visual and audio teaching methods, and involved lessons.
  • Make chess fun! (Stories)

    I am an employee of this grand company serving children with beneficial chess learning and fun. I have reached the highest level of chess mastery in the company and serve as the only Chess Master of Schoolhouse Chess. The company has taught over 150,000 children in more than 200 schools in the state of Utah (The Largest after school program in the state), and is currently expanding to other states.

    The Program:
  • Hold assemblies in schools to expand the knowledge of the general Populus about chess in the community.
  • Creates an after school chess club that meets for one hour. Usually lasts between 6-8 week sessions. (It is common for a school to have 1-3 sessions a year)
  • Hold quarterly tournaments that anyone in grade school can enter.

An exert story from the assembly and first lesson.
"Long, long ago, the game of chess started with two brothers - twin brothers, princes, one blonde, one dark haired. They often made up games on the giant black and white tiled floor of the castle. Jumping from square to square was their favorite game... However, their childhood part-time changed when they received a check in the mail for their birthday..." This check was addressed to the future king, without a name on it. For thousands of years they have been fighting over this check...

    Instructors:
  • Between 80-120 contracted instructors.
  • Instructors wear a blue vest while teaching.
  • Expectations of expanding chess knowledge and encouraged to be a part of the US Chess Federation (USCF) and the Internet Chess Club (ICC).
    • Levels of instructor:
    • Beginner
    • Intermediate
    • Advanced
    • Master
    • School Lead (Can be School Lead at any level.)

Company Info:
Owner: Dave Todoroff
For other staff members please see:
http://www.schoolhousechessutah.org/staff.php

Company homepage: http://www.schoolhousechessutah.org/


My favorite activity, in the Algebraic Notation lesson:
After teaching Algebraic Notation to the students, tell them they can't touch their own pieces. (Consequence of doing so three times means forfeit or loss of game). They have to tell their opponent where they would like to move in Algebraic Notation. This slows down their play, makes them think with their head and not their hands, and teaches Algebraic Notation all at the same time!


First chess writeup: chess basics. Next: en passant

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.