Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, and Dan Duryea star in this 1945 noir-cum-Morality Tale with a side order of period misogyny, nicely shot on a budget by Fritz Lang. Based on the novel Chienne by Georges de La Fouchardière, it begins with meek, naive cashier Christopher Cross (Robinson) being fêted by his colleagues for a quarter-century of faithful service. The boss leaves early to be with his younger mistress, a fact met with amusement and approval by most of the others. Cross, trapped in a loveless marriage, has longings.

A chance encounter on the night-time walk home will entangle him with a manipulative moll and her violent boyfriend. Cross sees a chance to be a hero, and a place to pursue his passion, painting. The subsequent events will destroy all of these characters. It will not make a pretty picture.

The film features strong performances and grim im/a/morality. Pacing is uneven; the ending, in particular, drags. Nevertheless, it remains worth seeing, if the era and genre interest you.

Lang and most of the leading cast made The Woman in the Window two years earlier. It contains similar plot elements, toned down for the times. The darker themes and approach of Scarlet Street led to it being banned in several jurisdictions. Those same elements now mark it as a film noir classic.

222 words

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.