(Hinduism, Gaudiya Vaishnavism; Bengali)

Saranagati
(Taking Shelter)

by Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura

sri krsna caitanya prabhu jive daya kari
sva-parsada sviya dhama saha avatari
atyanta durlabha prema kariabare dana
sikhaya saranagati bhakatera prana
dainya, atma-nivedana, goptrtve varana
avasya raksibe krsna visvasa palana
bhakti-anukula matra karyera svikara
bhakti-pratikula-bhava varjanangikara
sad-anga saranagati haibe janhara
tanhara prarthana sune sri-nanda-kumara
rupa sanatana pade dante trna kari
bhakativinoda pare dui pada dhari
kandiya kandiya bale ami ta adhama
sikhaye saranagati karahe uttama

Out of compassion for the fallen jivas, Sri Krishna Chaitanya appeared in this world with all of his eternal associates and his eternal abode.

Wishing to bestow on them that most rare gift of love for himself, he taught saranagati, the process of taking shelter of the Lord that is the life of the devotees.

Humility, self-surrender, accepting Krishna as your protector, the belief that Krishna will save you in all circumstances, undertaking only activities conducive to developing love for Krishna and rejecting everything which is detrimental to that end--these are the six elements of taking shelter, saranagati.

The son of Nanda, Krishna, listens to the prayers of anyone who takes shelter of him in this six-fold process of surrender.

I fall down at the feet of Rupa and Sanatana with straw in my teeth and take hold of them in all humility. Crying, I call out, saying, "I am most fallen. Please teach me how to take shelter of Krishna so that I can perfect my human life."


<< Back to "Vaishnava Prayers & Songs"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.