Born Edward Montagu in 1620, he became the Earl of Sandwich in 1660 due to his exemplary achievements in the parliament and as General-at-sea alongside Robert Blake, and later helped prevent England from reverting to a state of anarchy. History has overlooked him, and he only has a footnote for having first decided to put some meat between two slices of bread.

After the issue of taste, a good sandwich must be structurally sound. It must be able to hold up under pressure. For example, the McDonald's Big Mac (yes, burgers are sandwhiches), that secret sauce is very slippery. It is placed next to the lettuce, so it is not uncommon to find lettuce falling out, and the topmost bun sliding. However, a good sandwich architect knows thatone must not rely on toothpicks or cardboard boxes for support, because those are removed. Make sure the sandwich is not top-heavy, and that the ingredients are arranged evenly, otherwise they may shift when picked up.

One version of the story of the sandwich tells us that Edward Montagu (the aforementioned Earl of Sandwich) created them in order to avoid having to leave the gaming table for meals. Since plates were not allowed at the tables, he had meat brought to him on slices of bread. Now that's a dedicated gambler!

You may be thinking to yourself...

I like sandwiches. I wonder what would make the perfect sandwich.

I'll tell you. When you have a sandwich, you have two pieces of bread, some cold cuts in the middle, maybe a little mustard, maybe a little mayo, maybe a pickle. Most sandwiches lack the perfect ingredient: Chips!

Chips? And I don't mean on the side, either.

Sandwiches, by their very nature, are soft. You bite into a sandwich, chew it up, swallow, go "Mmmmmm", and repeat the process. Now, if you had put a few chips on the sandwich before eating it, you have yourself a whole new experience. Your sandwich now has some substance! It's crunchy! It has texture, strength, endurance, and it tastes REALLY REALLY GOOD.

Adding chips to a sandwich is one of the best things you can do to it!

NOTE: This doesn't apply to Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches. That would be just nasty.

Actually, Edward Montagu was not the first man to think up the idea of a sandwich. The Romans ate a similar creation that they called an offula. However, it was Montagu who gave the food the name we know and love, the sandwich.

Side note: The Hawaiian Islands, discovered by Captain Cook, were originally called the Sandwich Islands, in honor of the famous earl.

Sand"wich [Named from the Earl of Sandwich.]

Two pieces of bread and butter with a thin slice of meat, cheese, or the like, between them.

<-- 2. Any food composed of two pieces of bread with another food in between. 3. Any object composed of two layers of one subtance on either side of a second substance. -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Sand"wich, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sandwiched (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Sandwiching.]

To make into a sandwich; also, figuratively, to insert between portions of something dissimilar; to form of alternate parts or things, or alternating layers of a different nature; to interlard.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.