Samuel Adams Boston Ale was first brewed in 1988 as a recipe to commemorate the opening of the Samuel Adams Brewery in Boston, Massachusetts. The beer is reddish-brown in color with a clean, crisp taste but also has a slight edge of hoppiness. Much of this is due to the aging process unique for a New England 'stock ale' of its type, something more often used with lagers (bottom-fermenting beer) to make them crisp, light, and refreshing. After primary fermentation, the beer is aged for roughly a month at temperatures just above freezing. The result is that you get beer with a malty, creamy texture that's characteristic of many ales but with plenty of 'cold-conditioning' to add a nice back-bite of bitterness. Its alcohol content by volume is reportedly 4.94 per cent.

The beer is relatively expensive by American standards (around $6.00-$7.50 for a 6-pack of twelve-ounce bottles), yet afficionados will argue that the quality greatly outshadows the inflated price. In my experience, it goes well with light meats such as turkey, chicken, or pork (especially when barbecued), but its somewhat fuller body doesn't leave it as suitable for starchier, saltier foods like potato chips or pretzels.

www.samueladams.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.