Republican Senator from Kansas

Sam Brownback was first elected in 1996 to fill the remainder of Bob Dole’s term. Before entering the Senate he served one term as a U.S. Congressman representing the Second District of Kansas. Before that he worked as an administrator, broadcaster, attorney, teacher, author and as secretary of agriculture for the state of Kansas. He received a Bachelor of Science degree with honors in Agricultural Economics from Kansas State University, and a law degree from the University of Kansas.

He has a wife Mary and five children, Abby, Andy, Liz, Mark, and Jenna. They live in Topeka.

Brownback grew up on (and still owns land from) a farm in Parker, Kansas. He has co-authored two books and numerous articles. His books are Building a Healthy Culture: Strategies for an American Renaissance and Kansas Agricultural Law .

In the Senate Brownback has been a leader in calling for increased responsibility from the entertainment industry. He held the first congressional public health summit on entertainment violence, and sponsored legislation that led to the Federal Trade Commission’s report which “uncovered the widespread marketing of violent, adult-rated entertainment to children”. He is also an opponent of embryonic stem cell research.

Committees and Groups:

His website and contact info is:

303 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-6521
http://brownback.senate.gov/CMEmailMe.htm
http://www.senate.gov/~brownback

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.