The Salt Lane Witches were, according to English folklore, two white witches that resided in Worcester, England in medieval times.

The witches were considered to be 'good' witches because instead of causing harm to others, they helped them. They aided people with their magic by freeing carts that often became stuck in the mud outside their cottages - one would bless and stroke the horse and the other would stroke the cart's wheels for a fee of sixpence.

Their magical business partnership ended one day when a wagoner tried to bargain with them. Failing, he saw a piece of straw on his horse's back and thinking he was sabotaging part of their magic, cut it in half. At this, the witch stroking the horse screamed and died - severed in two.

The remaining Salt Lane Witch continued her magic. According to legend, she turned a troop of soldiers entering Worcester to collect taxes into stone, saving the town from paying. When a local merchant (strangely keen to pay tax) attempted to remove the spell from the petrified figures one of them turned into a gigantic horse, scaring him away. (The site where the stone men once stood is rumoured to be what is now the main road into Worcester).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.