Apostle (not as the Twelve, but in the lesser meaning of "first evangelist") and patron Saint of Ireland.

Born in England , taken as a slave to Ireland where he became a fervent christian, he managed to escape to Gaul where he was ordained a bishop, and then returned to Ireland as a very successful missionary. He's said to have used a 3-leaves shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity (a concept he was quite obsessed with), thus making it the national symbol of Ireland.

Died c. 471.
Apostles as in one of the 12? If this is your referent, then I don't think so.
Whether or not he actually used a shamrock is apocryphal. The Irish were very familar with the idea of a triad and it was used frequently Celtic mythology.

St. Patrick was brought to Ireland from Wales as a slave. He escaped and returned to Wales, but decided to return to bring Christianity to the pagan Irish. This was largely successful, given that a couple of hundred years after his death Ireland was known as the Land of Saints and Scholars. He used the shamrock to illustrate the concept of the Holy Trinity.

St. Patrick's Day is celebrated as Ireland's national holiday, on March 17th.

Truly amazing human being. His greatest miracle was the banishment of all the snakes from the island of Ireland.

But he didn't stop there. Oh no. When Saint Patrick was finished banishing all the snakes, he then went around the country and destroyed all snake fossils, and any written documents stating that there had ever been snakes in Ireland. What a guy.

Not to be confused with Saint Fred, who drove all the sabre-tooth tigers out of Leitrim.

this joke copyright Ed Byrne

St Patrick

St. Patrick was born in Roman Britain, around 389. When he was 16, he was sold into slavery to Ireland where he was a shepherd for 6 years. While in captivity he studied and turned to religion. He wrote : "The love of God and his fear grew in me more and more, as did the faith, and my soul was rosed, so that, in a single day, I have said as many as a hundred prayers and in the night, nearly the same."
"I prayed in the woods and on the mountain, even before dawn. I felt no hurt from the snow or ice or rain."

He had another dream in which the people of Ireland were calling out to him "We beg you, holy youth, to come and walk among us once more."

He escaped slavery and later returned to Ireland as a missionary, determined to convert Ireland to Christianity. He used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity.

He was ordained as Bishop of Ireland in 431 (by St. Germanus). He was able to secure tolerance for Christians in Ireland during his life there. He is said to have died in 461 and to be buried in Downpatrick (the first church). St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin was built in the 12th Century. He is also said to have drummed the snakes from Ireland and into the sea.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.