One of the few prayers in the Mormon Church that needs to be recited verbatim. See Mormon Sacrament Meeting. The prayers for the bread and water/wine (unfermented, of course) can be found in Doctrine and Covenants 20:77 and 20:79 respectively.

20:77 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

20:79 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

Notes: "Water" is substituded for "wine" when water is used (basically always). A common mistake is to say "eat it in remembrance" in the first prayer. Mormons don't believe in transsubstantiation. They will believe just about anything else though. Heh, just kidding...I love that joke.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.