Shed (?), n. [The same word as shade. See Shade.]

A slight or temporary structure built to shade or shelter something; a structure usually open in front; an outbuilding; a hut; as, a wagon shed; a wood shed.

The first Aletes born in lowly shed.
Fairfax.

Sheds of reeds which summer's heat repel.
Sandys.

 

© Webster 1913


Shed, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shed; p. pr. & vb. n. Shedding.] [OE. scheden, sch&?;den, to pour, to part, AS. scAdan, sceádan, to pert, to separate; akin to OS. sk&?;&?;an, OFries. sk&?;tha, G. scheiden, OHG. sceidan, Goth. skaidan, and probably to Lith. skëdu I part, separate, L. scindere to cleave, to split, Gr. &?;&?;&?;, Skr. chid, and perch. also to L. caedere to cut. √159. Cf. Chisel, Concise, Schism, Sheading, Sheath, Shide.]

1.

To separate; to divide. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.] Robert of Brunne.

2.

To part with; to throw off or give forth from one's self; to emit; to diffuse; to cause to emanate or flow; to pour forth or out; to spill; as, the sun sheds light; she shed tears; the clouds shed rain.

Did Romeo's hand shed Tybalt's blood?
Shak.

Twice seven consenting years have shed
Their utmost bounty on thy head.
Wordsworth.

3.

To let fall; to throw off, as a natural covering of hair, feathers, shell; to cast; as, fowls shed their feathers; serpents shed their skins; trees shed leaves.

4.

To cause to flow off without penetrating; as, a tight roof, or covering of oiled cloth, sheeds water.

5.

To sprinkle; to intersperse; to cover. [R.] "Her hair . . . is shed with gray." B. Jonson.

6. (Weaving)

To divide, as the warp threads, so as to form a shed, or passageway, for the shuttle.

 

© Webster 1913


Shed, v. i.

1.

To fall in drops; to pour. [Obs.]

Such a rain down from the welkin shadde.
Chaucer.

2.

To let fall the parts, as seeds or fruit; to throw off a covering or envelope.

White oats are apt to shed most as they lie, and black as they stand.
Mortimer.

 

© Webster 1913


Shed, n.

1.

A parting; a separation; a division. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.]

They say also that the manner of making the shed of newwedded wives' hair with the iron head of a javelin came up then likewise.
Sir T. North.

2.

The act of shedding or spilling; -- used only in composition, as in bloodshed.

3.

That which parts, divides, or sheds; -- used in composition, as in watershed.

4. (Weaving)

The passageway between the threads of the warp through which the shuttle is thrown, having a sloping top and bottom made by raising and lowering the alternate threads.

 

© Webster 1913


Shed, n. (Aëronautics)

A covered structure for housing aircraft; a hangar.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.