In the novels of Arthur C. Clarke, an artificially intelligent computer at the University of Illinois, Urbana/Champaign. SAL 9000 was a virtual twin to HAL 9000, save that she had a female voice--and a Hindu-accented female voice at that, due to the influence of Dr. Chandra, who worked with her frequently.

SAL was involved in the analysis of mission data from the Discovery mission to Jupiter in 2001, and failed to find the fault in the vessel's AE-35 Unit that HAL had predicted. (At the time, she may have been one of the two 9000-series computers at Mission Control in Houston; if that is the case, then, presumably, she was the one that did not fall victim to the psychosis that HAL suffered from.)

In 2010, in preparation for a mission to Jupiter to reactivate both Discovery and HAL, Dr. Chandra temporarily disconnected, and then reconnected, some of SAL's circuits involving her higher functions (much as HAL's were disconnected by Discovery Mission Commander David Bowman). SAL apparently suffered no serious ill efects from this procedure, as Dr. Chandra was later able to successfully reactivate HAL using similar techniques.

Source: Arthur C. Clarke, 2001: a space odyssey, 2010: odyssey two

Dr Chandra is described throughout 2010 as quite an introverted, very private person. He only seems to show emotion twice during 2010; first, when HAL is reactivated, and second, when he is putting SAL 9000 to sleep:

'...I would like ask a question.'

'What is it?'

'Will I dream?'

'Of course you will. All intelligent creatures dream - but no one knows why.' Chandra paused for a moment, and added something he would never admit to a human being. 'Perhaps you will dream about Hal, as I often do.'

Source: 2010: Odyssey Two

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.