"Animals struggle with each other for food or for leadership, but they do not, like human beings, struggle with each other for that that stands for food or leadership: such things as our paper symbols of wealth (money, bonds, titles), badges of rank to wear on our clothes, or low-number license plates, supposed by some people to stand for social precedence. For animals the relationship in which one thing stands for something else does not appear to exist except in very rudimentary form." Hayakawa

1906-1992 Semanticist, educator,and US senator.

(Samuel Ichiye) Born in Vancouver, B.C. the son of Japanese immigrants. He got his Bachelor's degree from University of Manitoba, his Masters in English from McGill University and his PhD in English from University of Wisconsin. He taught at U of W until he received a post at San Francisco State College. He went on to become president of the college from 1968-1973. He was elected to the Senate representing the State of California from 1977-1983. In 1941 he wrote the book, Language in Thought and Action. It was the first popular work in general the ways language is manipulated was a new concept to the general public. For a quarter of a century he was devoted to relating his ideas on language and communication to issues of everday life. Follower of Alfred Korzybski. In 1951, he became a professor of English at San Francisco State College. He also became a naturalized citizen of the United States. In 1968, he became president of San Francisco State College which then became San Francisco State University. In this same year there was a great deal of student unrest. Mr. Hayakawa became a household word in the US by confronting the students directly, actually taking bullhorn in hand and walking into the demonstration itself. In 1976, he was elected to the US Senate to represent the State of California. One of the first bills he introduced sought to make English the official language of the country. In 1983, he founded an organization called US English whose goal is to promote the use of the English language in the US.

He wrote:

See:


Source: http://www.us-english.org/inc/about/hayakawa.asp http://collections.ic.gc.ca/heirloom_series/volume5/224-225.htm Last Updated 05.07.04

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.