One of the most talented forwards in the game of soccer. Plays for Manchester United of England and Wales. His stats for ManUtd through 00/01 are as follows:

Birthplace:
    Cardiff, Wales 29 November 1973
Height:
    180cm - 5ft 11in
Weight:
    68.03kg - 10st 10lb
Full International:
    Wales (31 caps, 7 goals)
Position:
    Forward
Squad Number:
    11
Debut:
    02.03.1991
Appearances (1991-2001):
    443
Goals:
    90

He has played for Manchester United for his entire professional career and has collected more trophies and medals than all but a few other British-based players. To quote his bio from ManUtd.com,

'Whilst at Manchester United, Giggs has won every domestic trophy, as follows: the League Cup in 1992, League Championships in 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2001 and three FA Cup winners medals in 1994, 1996 and 1999. Add to that the European Cup in 1999, and you've got quite a club career!'
On a more interesting note, he is one of the most amazing soccer players in the world to watch. He is very fast and has a reasonably good shot. But what really set him apart from other players are his dribbling skills and creative vision. He is never afraid to run at defenders, no matter how good they are or how many he's up against. While not particularly good on defense or in the air, he could walk into the starting 11 on any team in the world. All that plus he's a lefty.

One particular goal that Ryan scored will be forever imprinted on my mind as the greatest feat of athleticism I have or will ever see in my life. Fans of the game already know what I'm talking about. The 1999 FA Cup semi-final replay, Manchester United v. Arsenal at Villa Park, was tied at 1-1 heading into the last 2 minutes of regular time. Arsenal pressed forward to try to find a late winner, but their build up was blocked out of the box and fell to Ryan standing about 10 yards behind the halfway line of the left flank. He was alone with the ball, the only person on Manchester not in a defensive position, faced with what the best defense in the world at that time (Adams, Keown, Dixon, and Winterburn I believe). Taking them all on, he ran more or less straight at the goal and brushed off or juked all four defenders. Arriviving inside the penalty box with the ball at his feet, he fired an amazing drive into the top-left corner to leave the goalkeeper (David Seamen) no chance. Manchester went on to win The Treble of FA Cup, Carling Premiership and European Cup, and his goal in the semi-final was instantly hailed as one of the greatest the game has ever seen. I rate it, along with Maradona's first against England in '86 and Gazza's against Scotland at Wembley, as one of the best ever. It was the one moment in soccer that brought tears to my eyes for how beautiful the game can be.

You can find his offical web site at http://www.icons.com/giggs/ or his bio on Manchester United's web site at http://www.manutd.com/team/playerbio.sps?id=707&submit.x=5&submit.y=12.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.