American President (1822-1893). Born in Delaware, Ohio. A champion speller in school, he once boasted that "not one in a thousand could spell me down!"

He was a lawyer in Lower Sandusky and joined a literary club in Cincinnati. When the Civil War started, his literary club started a military drilling company and elected Hayes captain. He was soon appointed a major of a regiment of Ohio Volunteers and distinguished himself in several battles, earning rapid promotions. He was wounded four times and had four horses shot out from under him.

Hayes was nominated for Congress while he was fighting in the war, but he refused to campaign, saying that any officer who "would abandon his post to electioneer for a seat in Congress ought to be scalped." He was elected, but did not take his seat until after the war. He later served three terms as governor of Ohio.

Hayes was elected to the Presidency by a margin of one electoral vote -- he actually lost the popular vote to Samuel J. Tilden, 4,284,020 to 4,036,572.

Hayes was originally unpopular with both parties -- the Democrats claimed he stole the election, and Republicans were angry because he didn't give his party's members any special favors, even appointing a Democrat to his cabinet. Hayes also ended Reconstruction in the South, which gave the Democrats a solid lock on the South for decades. But by the time he left office, he was respected for his honesty. He served only one term, retiring to Ohio and giving up politics entirely.

His wife, Lucy, was called "Lemonade Lucy" in the White House. A staunch prohibitionist, she refused to serve alcohol, even for formal dinners. She and the President introduced the custom of Easter egg rolling on the White House lawn in 1878.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.