One of the most amusing things about "Rumble in the Bronx" is not just how little of it was shot in New York, but how much of it was shot in Vancouver.

This is not an attack against Vancouver. It's a beautiful city, probably far less filthy than NYC, and probably a whole lot cheaper to film in. But there's one thing that Vancouver has that New York City lacks, and it is this inclusion that adds to the humor for anyone who has ever been to New York:

New York City has no mountains.

As Jackie performs an amazing jump from the top of a parking structure to a small balcony across the street, what do you see in the background?

Not the tall buildings of Manhattan.

Not the apartments of the North Bronx or Westchester.

Nope. Big, blue, majestic mountains.


Aside from the scenery, this was an incredible film. The high production values made it more accessible to American audiences, and the decidedly American youth gangs probably added to the familiarity.

Jackie Chan beating the crap out of a bunch of punks using a pinball machine, pool cue, and a refrigerator probably helped, too.

Rumble in the Bronx (1995) - Weasello Rating: {>>>-} (Great!)

I'm not an ass so you won't find any spoilers in this review without decent warning.


"The movie that made Jackie Chan a household name in 1996." - KaZe JoNeS

I love this movie. Mainly filmed in Vancouver, BC but taking place in New York, our favorite action hero Jackie Chan kicks ass in his first hollywood movie. Featuring a basic plot and some slick moves by chan (notably a jump from a roof to a very narrow fire escape on a nearby building), and (probably) the first Chan movie to feature outtakes.

Way back in 1996 I was in high school, and everyone was talking about how Jackie Chan was sooo coooool. I asked who he was and my friend said "Oh, I think he's the next Bruce Lee or something." I was not interested.

It wasn't until 1998 that I saw this movie (after seeing some of his later works), and I was impressed. Doing your own stunts may not be as impressive nowadays as it was back then, but I am still impressed. The incredible control Jackie Chan has over his body is amazing, and his massive array of weapons is his trademark. (Note: His massive array of weapons is anything he can pick up, such as chairs, ladders, brooms, and fridges.)

I also respect Jackie Chan (and, by association, this movie) because he very rarely uses swords or guns. It is all done with his own body, or regular household items. It makes you respect him (and the character he plays) so much more when he overcomes a villain armed with a chaingun and grenades.

If you want to see some good kung-fu action, with fancy cars and even a hovercraft, check out this movie. Be prepared for some bad dubbing and a slimy plot, though.

Notes: This was the first movie Jackie Chan dubbed his own voice in. (In essence, the first movie Jackie ever spoke english in, even if dubbed.)

Main Cast: Also Known As (IMDB): Gong fan ou (1995) (Hong Kong: Mandarin title), Red Bronx (1995)

Fun Quotes: liveforever says: "liveforever reflects that it is better to have a Rumble in the Bronx than a rattle in the bronchi."

From the box:

JACKIE CHAN
RUMBLE
IN THE
BRONX

"There is no greater action performer alive !" - Dave Kehr, NY Daily News

Running Time: 1 hour 31 mins
Rated: R, 14A (Canadian Home Video Rating)
To millions of action fans around the world he's a living legend. If you've never seen him before, you've never seen action. He's Jackie Chan and for years he has done something no other action star would dare dream. He's performed all of his own stunts.

IN RUMBLE IN THE BRONX, it's no different. There are no stand-ins and no stunt doubles. Just non-stop action. so when Jackie uses all of his resources to protect his uncle's store from local thugs, he's not kidding. When Jackie fights, when Jackie jumps from rooftop to rooftop, and even when Jackie gets dragged by a hovercraft, Jackie does it for real.

It's no wonder that John Anderson from NY NEWSDAY said, "Jackie Chan still works harder to please than any 10 other action stars."

ALLIANCE VIDEO and NEW LINE CINEMA present a RAYMOND CHOW/GOLDEN HARVEST production
music by J PETER ROBINSON edited by MICHAEL DUTHIE and PETER CHEUNG production designer OLIVER WONG
director of photography JINGLE MA, h.k.s.c. executive producer LEONARD HO co producer ROBERTA CHOW written by EDWARD TANG and FIBE MA produced by BARBIE TUNG
directed by STANLEY TONG

No Fear. No Stuntman. No equal.

(C) 1996 New Line Productions
Sources: The oh-so-wonderful IMDB, my head, and the box.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.