This is a fancy one I picked up from a friend of the family. The herbs rolled up in the loin of lamb, rosemary, thyme, lavender and whatnot, are a fresh combination of herbes de Provence, a mix of herbs from the southern part of France. Definitely a meal to impress.

Roulade of Herbed Lamb with Stewed Garlic

Serves 6.

Ingredients

  • 3 boned racks or loins of lamb, fat removed.
  • ½ cup chopped fresh parsley.
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh chives.
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint.
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary.
  • 1 tablespoon lavender flowers, fresh or dried.
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme.
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano.
  • ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil.
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  • 30 medium cloves garlic, peeled.
  • 10 cups (2 ½ quarts) homemade chicken stock
  • 1 pound lamb stew meat, fat removed, cut into ½-inch cubes.
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch.
  • Parsley, mint, rosemary, thyme, or oregano sprigs as a garnish.
  • Fresh lavender sprigs as a garnish.

Directions

Make a ½-inch deep cut along the long side of the lamb rack or loin to butterfly the meat. Continue to cut deeper and deeper into the rack or loin in a circular pattern, until you create a flat piece. Season with salt and pepper. Pound the meat slightly to flatten evenly.

In a bowl, combine the parsley, chives, mint, rosemary, lavender, thyme, and oregano. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Mix well. Spread the mixture evenly over the flattened lamb. Roll the lamb back up to its original shape, rolling up the herbs as you go. Tie with kitchen string at 1-inch intervals. Refrigerate the lamb. This can all be done up to a full day in advance.

Bring the lamb loins to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 425º F.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Brown the lamb loins, turning occasionally until golden on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until medium rare and the internal temperature is 140º F, 8 to 10 minutes. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

To serve, slice each lamb loin into 6 1-inch pieces, removing the strings as you go. Place 3 pieces of lamb on each plate and distribute the sauce and garlic cloves around the lamb. Garnish with sprigs of herbs and lavender.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.