A small restaurant chain in the Los Angeles area.

Mentioned in the Quentin Tarantino movie Jackie Brown. Samuel Jackson's character promises he'll take Chris Tucker's character to Roscoe's if he'll get in the trunk.

It is here I learned the hard way exactly what giblets are.

Apparently one of the better franchise chains to get into. Like many others I first heard of Roscoe's by seeing the commercial in Tapeheads and thought it was a joke. A few years afterwards I found out it was real but have yet to actually manage to eat in one.

Imagine my suprise however when taking a small business fundamentals class to hear half the class talking about Roscoe's. Our assignment had been to do research on a franchise and to explain which franchise we would buy if we had to pick one. Well almost half the class picked Roscoe's. It seems that this chain is known for doing extensive reseach on the areas the open in, making sure each location is far enough away from any other so that they don't compete, and for being quite profitable.

It's also worth noting that the food at Roscoe's is very good, assuming you like soul food. Even though the menu is fairly limited, the things they do make, they make very well. The fried chicken is crispy on the outside, moist on the inside, and not at all raw at the bone. Given the size of the breasts and thighs, this is no mean feat. There are no puny, undersized pieces like at KFC or Church's.

The sides are of similarly high quality. The greens and smothered potatoes are excellent and the hot water corn bread should not be missed. The waffles are thin enough to be a side as opposed to a main course. The syrup is a specific blend of cane and maple syrups that's mixed in house and not for sale elsewhere, so it's actually more exclusive than that $10.00 a pint stuff you can order from LL Bean.

Roscoe's is also noteworthy for providing ample portions of soul food at reasonable prices. The Scoe's Special #2 is a bellyful for an average sized person.

Only thing I don't like about it is the wait. On a Saturday night you might wait for forty-five minutes for a table. On Sunday afternoon it could be twice that.

Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles has five locations in southern California—among them:

However, the first Roscoe's (known affentionately as 'Scoes by "the family"), situated in Hollywood on 1514 North Gower street, is by far the superior, with consistently quick service, fluffy waffles, and the occasional R&B star sighting.

Relatively easy to spot despite its hole in the wall characteristics (look for the dancing red, blue, and white chicken), parking can usually also be procured with ease on the many side streets of the area. Bring quarters. Give your name to the man outside with the clipboard; if you come here enough, he will recognize you just like the swollen and satisfied customers who call Roscoe’s their daily haunt.

Yes, the Gower location is popular, so while you are killing time during one of Roscoe’s legendary Sunday afternoon waits, hike up the block on Gower and turn left on Hollywood—window shopping and the chipped granite celebrity stars are too close to miss. (Five dollars to anyone who finds Lucille Ball’s.) Dodge the inevitable Sunday theatre walking traffic and Scientologists and peek inside the Wiltern theatre on Wilshire and memorabilia stores. The waits prove to be a blessing when you can explore simultaneously hilarious and hideous place that is Hollywood.

Inside, Roscoe’s is smaller than one might expect—dark, mirrored, and cramped, with as many formica and wood tables as possible squeezed into the restaurant. Look up and you might spot the Shaq, Destiny’s Child, and Luther Vandross signed promos among a bevy of others…it wouldn’t be rare if you see the Shaq attack in person that afternoon.

Generally genial and efficient, the wait staff wastes no time, keeping the water glasses filled and the customers from getting too ravenous. For such a wait, food usually arrives to one’s table hot and ready to eat in less than fifteen minutes. From the menu, newbies and vegetarians alike are safe with the classic #7 Natalie’s Special, named after a member of the "family," Natalie Cole—two fluffy golden waffles doused in half-melted butter and warmed (!) pure cane syrup, one of the cheapest dishes on the menu at $4.60. For those craving to dig into the other half of the Roscoe’s legend, the #13 Carol C. Special, a portion of fried chicken with the aforementioned waffle now degraded to side, is a good bet for $5.60.

Feeling adventurous? Roscoe’s is no shrinking violet in meeting your Chix ™ and Waffles needs. Friends swear by the #5 Jeanne Jones chicken and cheese omelette with a side waffle, prepared with plenty of butter and syrup as well. Even at $6.30, the #5--much like most of the dishes--gives you one of the cheapest meals outside Rambo’s Taco Truck in southern California.

Side dishes are nearly as spectacular. Okra, cornbread, macaroni and cheese, smothered potatoes, red beans and rice, and the recommended grits with butter all are available to accompany your meal at a cheap price. Leave room if possible! Warmed sweet potato pie is a required accompaniment to your meal.

Drinks are not so adventurous, with a small selection of pink and white wines for cheap; for caffeine addicts, the usual Coke and coffee selections are offered. Also, the Sun Rise, a combination of orange juice and lemonade, or Lisa's Delight, black tea with lemonade, can wash down the grease.

Enjoy yourself, don’t forget to tip Mama—you’ll know her soon enough—and buy a Roscoe’s shirt to support the Roscoe’s empire. With such new upstarts as “Gladys and Ron’s Chicken and Waffles” straight outta Atlanta, GA, one may wonder if Roscoe’s is loosening their grip on the Chicken and Waffles market.

Try to walk back to the car; after such generous portions, this may be difficult to do.

To paraphrase Swingers: Roscoe’s brings people together.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.