romantic (noun, romance): having a wondrous or storybook quality, visionary and idealized. Romantic love belongs to the proceptive phase of a relationship, especially at its onset. Historically, in the songs of the troubadours of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, romantic love stopped short of the acceptive phase of sexual intercourse and marriage, but today there is no strict dividing line.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Romantics were followers of an ideology known as Romanticism.

Beliefs
Romantics believed that all humans originated from an Oversoul in which everyone's soul was intermixed. They believe that the Oversoul is the perfect place in which everyone is good and innocent. Thus, they believe that everyone is born good and innocent. Romantics believe that man comes into a world that assumes he is evil. They do not believe in laws, believing that they are restricting. They believe that mans greatest gift is his/her imagination.

Important Figures
Ralph Waldo Emerson- A Romantic Scholar, and Harvard professor. He believed that reality is spiritual; and, reacing the ideal spiritual world allows love, peace, beauty, and happiness. Called for literary independence in 1837. He then caused the greatest outpour of quality literature ever in America.
Plato- An ancient philosopher that believed in the Romantic ideology in essence.

Romantic Literature
Romantic literature involved a lot of nature and human emotion. It did not appeal to fact or the world around them, but rather, humans in different situations and about nature and its perfection. Their literature produces: images, dreams, feelings, ideas, and insights; all of which they also believe the Oversoul gives.

Notes
-Romantics existed in the colonial times up until the Civil War broke out giving rise to Realism (direct opposition).
-Romantics are directly opposed to Rationalists who also existed at the time and believed in strict laws, etc.

Ro*man"tic (?), a. [F. romantique, fr. OF. romant. See Romance.]

1.

Of or pertaining to romance; involving or resembling romance; hence, fanciful; marvelous; extravagant; unreal; as, a romantic tale; a romantic notion; a romantic undertaking.

Can anything in nature be imagined more profane and impious, more absurd, and undeed romantic, than such a persuasion? South.

Zeal for the good of one's country a party of men have represented as chimerical and romantic. Addison.

2.

Entertaining ideas and expectations suited to a romance; as, a romantic person; a romantic mind.

3.

Of or pertaining to the style of the Christian and popular literature of the Middle Ages, as opposed to the classical antique; of the nature of, or appropriate to, that style; as, the romantic school of poets.

4.

Characterized by strangeness or variety; suggestive of adventure; suited to romance; wild; picturesque; -- applied to scenery; as, a romantic landscape.

Syn. -- Sentimental; fanciful; fantastic; fictitious; extravagant; wild; chimerical. See Sentimental.

The romantic drama. See under Drama.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.