Nerve endings in your eyes that perceive black and white or shades of gray.

In geology, rods are cylindrical structures of a single mineral in a deformed rock.

Similiar in form to boudins and mullions, but distinguished by their monomineralic (single mineral) composition. Commonly composed of quartz, but rods of calcite and pyrite have been described.

Rods are most likely formed by the deformation of mineral segregations or the elongation of conglomerate clasts.

1. A revolver. “Don’t get glommed (caught) with a rod in that tank (town). They’ll slap you in the can (jail) and throw the key away.”

2. An armed thief; a gunman. “We need two good rods to cover this joint. The owner is heeled (armed), and he is a tough giver-up (won't give up his money with-out a struggle).”



- american underworld dictionary - 1950

Rod (?), n. [The same word as rood. See Rood.]

1.

A straight and slender stick; a wand; hence, any slender bar, as of wood or metal (applied to various purposes).

Specifically: (a)

An instrument of punishment or correction; figuratively, chastisement.

He that spareth his rod hateth his son. Prov. xiii. 24.

(b)

A kind of sceptor, or badge of office; hence, figuratively, power; authority; tyranny; oppression

. "The rod, and bird of peace." Shak. (c)

A support for a fishing line; a fish pole

. Gay. (d) Mach. & Structure

A member used in tension, as for sustaining a suspended weight, or in tension and compression, as for transmitting reciprocating motion, etc.; a connecting bar.

(e)

An instrument for measuring

.

2.

A measure of length containing sixteen and a half feet; -- called also perch, and pole.

Black rod. See in the Vocabulary. -- Rods and cones Anat., the elongated cells or elements of the sensory layer of the retina, some of which are cylindrical, others somewhat conical.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.