Some people are famous due to athletic or acting skills. Others are famous due to luck. Robin Leach became famous for visiting famous people's houses.

Leach (DOB: August 29, 1941; London, England) is best known as the host of the TV show Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. He started his career as a journalist for several British papers while still in his teens.

He came to the United States in 1963, where he continued to write about celebrities and gossip for various publications for the next two decades or so. Leach became a television reporter for ABC's Los Angeles and New York affiliates which eventually led to him joining "Entertainment Tonight" from 1981-1983.

In 1983, Leach hosted the new show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Leach would visit famous people's houses and chit-chat with the celebrities. It allowed the viewer to see famous people at their leisure and also be awed by the material possessions that money and fame can buy. The show was fairly shallow, but it gained a nice following of those who always wanted to see "how the rich lived".

Leach gave the show an even more "upscale" air with his British accent and the amazing ease with which he conversed with multimillionaires. He was very likeable and has catchphrase at the end of every show, wishing the viewer "champagne wishes and caviar dreams" was one of the most known phrases of the '80s.

The show, in various incarnations, lasted through most of the '90s and might still be on in syndication. Leach has hosted other similar fame/celebrities shows, and also several upscale shows for the Food Network in the mid-90s.

Leach became famous for hanging out in famous people's houses. As such, he's made many cameo appearances as himself. Some of the more (or less) notable include Wrestlemania IV, thirtysomething, and Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

Robin Leach was symbolic of the shallow material excesses of society of the '80s and early '90s. Yet, a viewer of his shows never really felt that Leach was shallow or material. He always came across as classy, and even professional. Beyond that, he enjoyed his job (but then again, who wouldn't?...)

Source: IMDB.com, as well as site of a publicist who represents Leach (Barber and Associates)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.