Prince John: And why would the people listen to you?
Robin of Locksley: Because, unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights is a comedy film directed by Mel Brooks and was released in 1993. The story was written by J. David Shapiro and Evan Chandler, and the screenplay was written by Mel Brooks, Evan Chandler, J. David Shapiro. This movie was after Mel Brooks's work on Life Stinks and before Dracula: Dead and Loving It. The movie is rated PG-13 and has a runtime of 104 minutes.

Following the fame of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and the episode that Mel Brooks wrote for "When Things Were Rotten" comes this spoof of the old fable of Robin Hood. Robin of Locksley has been captured and is sent to prison, where he escapes with the help of fellow prisoner, Asneeze, through "feet of strength." After they have escaped from the prison, Asneeze asks Robin to find his son, Ahchoo, and protect him. Robin agrees, and proceeds to swim back to England.

Upon arriving in England, Robin promptly finds Ahchoo and moves on to return to his family castle. He finds his castle being repossessed, because his family hasn't been paying their taxes. After finding his servant, Blinkin, he finds that things are rotten in the state of Rottingham. Robin takes it upon himself to restore things to how they were with, of course, ensuing hilarity.

Unfortunately, this film and Dracula: Dead and Loving It are probably the most commercialized films that Brooks has made yet. Spaceballs appealed to the public, but it still had quite a campy feeling to it. The comedy is drier than most of his films, for it is no match to the humour found in Young Frankenstein, The Producers, or even Spaceballs. However, for a Brooks fan this can be enjoyable and to those who don't have the high standards of Brooks's best films.

Many familiar faces grace this film including cameos by singer Isaac Hayes, Tracey Ullman as the witch Latrine, and Brooks favorite Dom DeLuise. However, one can not forget Cary Elwes, forever remembered as the Man in Black from The Princess Bride.

Main Cast:
Cary Elwes - Robin Hood
Richard Lewis - Prince John
Roger Rees - Mervin, Sheriff of Rotingham
Amy Yasbeck - Maid Marian
Mark Blankfield - Blinkin
Dave Chappelle - Ahchoo
Isaac Hayes - Asneeze
Mel Brooks - Rabbi Tuckman
Megan Cavanagh - Broomhilde
Eric Allan Kramer - Little John
Matthew Porretta - Will Scarlet O'Hara
Tracey Ullman - Latrine
Patrick Stewart - King Richard
Dom DeLuise - Don Giovanni
Dick Van Patten - Abbot
Robert Ridgely - Hangman

Source:
http://www.imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.