According to himself on his web site on May 10, 2000 ...
Robert Niles earned a master's degree in journalism from Indiana University and a bachelor's degree from Northwestern University's Honors Program in Mathematical Methods in the Social Sciences. He's worked as a reporter, editorial writer and web site editor, and developed web applications in ColdFusion, PHP and Perl. Recently, he's written freelance articles about journalism for the Radio-Television News Directors Association and the National Conference of Editorial Writers.
Robert's been quoted in Editor & Publisher, the Online Journalism Review and Reader's Digest, and his web tutorial on using statistics in reporting has been used at more than three dozen universities, on four continents. Editor & Publisher honored Robert's work at the Rocky Mountain News's InsideDenver.com by naming the site a finalist for prestigious EPpy Awards two years in a row.
He is a native of Los Angeles.
Past and present employers include:
- Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Fla. (Attractions trainer and lead)
- WDBO-AM, Orlando, Fla. (News intern)
- The Herald-Times, Bloomington, Ind. (City desk reporter)
- Omaha World-Herald, Omaha, Neb. (Editorial writer)
- Denver Rocky Mountain News (Web site editor)
- Los Angeles Times (Current employer)