Robert Beltran is best known for his role as Commander Chakotay on Star Trek: Voyager. However, he has been working steadily since 1979 in both theater and in films. He has won The Nosostros Golden Eagle Award for Outstanding Actor in a Television Series (1997) and been nominated for the NCLR Bravo Award for Outstanding Television Series Actor in a Crossover Role (1996), the ALMA Awards for Outstanding Individual Performance in a Television Series in a Crossover Role (1998, 1999).

Mr. Beltran is the seventh son of first generation Mexican-American parents, and refers to himself as being "Latindio". He has seven brothers and two sisters. He was born on November 19, 1953, in Bakersfield, California. He graduated from Fresno State with a degree in Theater Arts and moved onto Los Angeles, California, to begin his acting career. He had his first film role in Zoot Suit, in 1981.

Mr. Beltran founded and co-directed the East LA Classic Theater Group. He is also a member of the Classical Theater Lab, an ensemble of professional actors who co-produced his production of Hamlet in 1997, which he directed as well as starred in.

One of Mr. Beltran's siblings was born with Down's Syndrome and each year since 1998 he has hosted the Galaxy Ball, which brings together actors from other Star Trek series for a small convention during the day event. During the evening event there is a cabaret and dinner dance. In 2001 it was reported in USA Today that the Galaxy Ball raised more than US$50,000.00 for the Down Syndrome Association of Los Angeles, as well as other charities.

Recordings

Latino Poetry, exerpts from a live performance by Robert Beltran. This was recorded during a poetry reading at the Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach, California, in April 2002.

Theater

Film

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.