From the point of view of ergonomics, the actual case of this computer was quite innovative. It was simply a plastic plate on top of a desktop case with 2 clips at the back. Once the top is off, the surrounding case can be removed. This involves unplugging the CD-ROM and any CPU boards in there (that's it as far as I remember). Then just the pull thing off. This section of the computer was just a plastic square with a couple of flat plastic 'planks' running across the bottom, these supported the CD-ROM and floppy drive which you pulled out with it. It was possible to stack around 7 or 8 of these 'mid' sections together to literally make a tower case, using the extra space for more drives and extensions but I don't think there was ever a need for more than 2 or 3.
After removing that, you are then left with a base which carries the motherboard, PSU and harddisk.

This is all from memory so the layout I have described may not be that precise. What I do remember is that it is possible to change the processor and/or memory in under 15 seconds.

On the technical spec side, the RISCPC also has multiprocessing abilities in addition (or I should really say alternative) to the PC CPU. This comes in the form of the Hydra board, allowing you to plug in (again from memory) upto 5 StrongARM processors. Strictly speaking, when you had the PC runnning, you were doing multiprocessing, I just don't know how it worked.
I know you could get a special driver that allowed you to use your main CPU as a graphics card.

The Risc PC was the successor to the A5000. It was first released on the 16th of April 1994. The casing of the machine had nice curves, and you had to remember that this was a time when even Macs were grey boxes. The Risc PC ran off a StrongARM chip and was designed to run Risc OS though it was usually shipped with Windows installed as well. Risc PCs have (as of 2003) been replaced by the Iyonix though there is a thriving second-hand and 're-tuned' trade in Risc PCs. The down and dirty stats of Risc PCs are as follows:

2 x 32-bit DMA EASI expansion slots
6 x 32-bit EASI expansion slots
16 million colour capability (800x600 display)
Max resolution of 1600x1200 display (256 colours)
Internal Genlock port
1 to 2 CD drives (newer models switched to DVD)
2 memory sockets for 72 PIN Fast Page SIMMs
PS/2 keyboard
3 Button mouse
IOMD custom I/O chip
VIDC20a custom video controller
16 bit - 44.1 KHz Audio
3.5mm stereo output
RS 232 serial port
Parallel printer port
Switchable PSU from 110V - 240V (50Hz or 60Hz)
Hard drive capacity of up to 256GB

The RiscPC was initially shipped with Risc OS 3.7 installed, but was been updated as new versions released. The RiscPC was last shipped with Risc OS 4.5, though you could also request Linux or Windows preinstalled on the Hard Disc if you so wished thanks to Aleph1 Ltd.

RIP RPC, 1996-2003

As of November 2003 the Risc PC was discontinued by the last producer Castle Tech due to an inability to source key parts and the rising popularity of the Iyonix. 1996-2003 that's good going for a single design of computer.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.