1401 S. First Avenue
Arcadia, CA 91006
Dr. Joseph A. Fox, Principal
Phone:(626) 821-8361
Safety Hotline:(626) 821-4683
Fax:(626) 447-1965

Richard Henry Dana Middle School was built in 1954. It was originally opened as an intermediate school housing only 7th and 8th graders. IN 1959, Dana became a junior high school with the addition of the 9th grade. Joseph Bagnall was its first principal. Our school was named after Richard Henry Dana, Jr., who was the author of Two Years Before the Mast. Our central quad area on campus features an anchor similar to the one used on the Pilgrim, the ship made famous by Richard Henry Dana, Jr. In 1993, Dana underwent another major change as we became Dana Middle School with the addition of 6th graders and the transfer of the 9th graders to Arcadia High School. The entire school was remodeled in 1995, air-conditioned and equipped with the beginnings of state of the art technology. In 1996, we became a California Distinguished School, and in 1997 we also became a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
Dana Middle School is the home of the Mariners. The Mariners are what makes Dana Middle School Dana Middle School. The musically gifted of the Mariners enlist orchestra, band, and chorus to put rivals First Ave. and Foothills to shame, while the Mariner atheletes achieve victory over FA and FT in the Intramurals and annual Civitan track meet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.