Have Acting Roles for Rugged Male Lead, Will Travel

Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam?
Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home.

Act I
Birth

Mr. Boone, a successful Los Angeles corporate lawyer, and descendant of Daniel Boone, along with his wife --named his second child, Richard Allen, for that happy event on June 18, 1917. Richard, who his close friends called Dick, would become a seventh generation nephew of that famous early American pioneer,

Act II
Early Learning and Schooling
(If you want to march to a different drummer...)

Both father and son had strong wills and the sensitive and rebellious precociously husky-voiced boy clashed with the elder Boone, poles apart philosophically. It was reported that during a Latin lesson his ennui was so great ("I was just bored with the subject.") led him right out by way of the classroom window! After attending Military school at San Diego's Army and Navy Academy (obviously a threat made by his father made true)-- he matriculated into Stanford University in 1934, but left college in 1937 prior to being degreed.

Act III
School of Hard Knox

He dabbled in painting and writing while supporting himself working oil rigs and tending bars. Finally, opportunity knocked hard in 1941, when enlistment in the Navy provided him with the promised adventures in the South Pacific. He loaded the ammunition on Aircraft Carrier's planes, and was assigned to a trio of ships in a combat role against the Japanese. While on the Enterprise, he survived being bombed from air attack, on the Intrepid, he lived through its being torpedoed, and, finally, he had to endure the kamikaze planes diving on the Hancock. He left this assessment of his experiences: "We began to think somebody was trying to kill us."

Act IV
Continuing Adult Education

After serving his hitch and serving his country up until the War's end, Boone began his acting apprenticeship at New York City's Neighborhood Playhouse and was part of the Actor's Studio in that Mecca for the performing arts. At the Actor's Studio in 1947 his compatriots were newbies Julie Harris, Marlon Brando, Karl Malden and Eva Marie Saint. He even took dance from the incomparable Martha Graham.

Act V
Nascent Career

Roles were available on Broadway, playing something he knew well, a soldier, and he was understudy to John Gielgud with his role of Jason) in Medea, he had a part in Macbeth, and by the late forties, television became a new opportunity for securing parts on its live broadcasted dramas. He was a regular on CBS's kids' show, Mr I. Magination in 1947 and he did 150 in other live presentations between 1948 and 1950. Between 1949 and 1950 he also was cast as a journalist in The Front Page. In 1949 he toured for the stage production of The Hasty Heart, did The Man the next year and was on stage again later fitting perfectly as Abe Lincoln for the 1959 production of The Rivalry.

1950 was also the year he moved to California, and made it to the big silver screen, got signed on with Twentieth Century-Fox, and he landed a part as an officer in the Lewis Milestone directed Halls of Montezuma (because of his role in the same radio show) and was in two dozen more movies just in that decade alone. These included playing in Rommel, The Desert Fox, Pontius Pilate in The Robe and a police Captain Hamilton in a popular television show made into a feature length film, Dragnet. Another early movie, 1951's Call Me Mister he played a mess sergeant in a feature starring Dan Dailey as a soldier entertainer gone AWOL in Korea to look for his wife who toured with the USO.

If we look at Richard Boone as the leading man type: he was tall, and had blue eyes, albeit lacking that piercing quality (good for leering), but, he had a potato of a nose, and was just a little too rugged. He had, as writer Richard Schickel quipped in 1961, "...a magnificently ruined face...," while Boone described himself as "...more interesting than handsome."

In 1953 he assumed another important role, that of father to his only son, Peter. (This was from the last of his three marriages in 1951, Claire McAloon. The others: a first knot tied to Jane Hopper in 1937 until cut in 1940; and a year's matrimony from 1949 to Mimi Kelly.)

Act VI
The Big Break
Medic
(Or, how casting could take on another meaning.)

It's the little breaks that count. There was a routine call to do a one-shot radio summer show, and fours years later somebody remembers it and all the sudden I'm the guy in Medic

Richard Boone, with his gravelly intense voice, was a natural to be cast as the super serious Doctor Konrad Styner hosting, practicing, and narrating an extremely honest hospital drama on television, NBC's Medic. It was preceded in the year before by their own The Doctor and CBS's City Hospital. It was at Fox studios, where The Doctor's writer James Moser knew of Boone playing in one its epsidodes. This project, however was to be adamantly obsessed with accuracy -- utilizing anthologies not unlike those on Dragnet police drama. James Moser, who became Medic's creator and dominant writer, had also written scripts for the Dragnet radio shows. This crime drama starred Jack Webb, and Boone had met him earlier while having some small parts on the radio show as well. (And, as mentioned earlier, Richard had previously joined Webb, who directed as well as acted in the full-length feature version. And, Webb would be a star again later on the TV series). Concerning this thirty minute show, also inspired by his experience writing for the radio show Dr. Kildare (later also of first movies, then TV fame, {again by him}) and the other late forties movie, Dr. Christian, James Moser boasted that it "...made no compromises with the truth." The show stuck to the solving of medical problems, and personal sidetracking in the plot was minimal.1

Act VII
Good Guys Wear Black
Have Gun, Will Travel
(If he had another holster it would have carried a poetry book by Yeats.)

1957 would become the year that put him on the map, put his name in the memories of every baby boomer and their parents who sat and watched TV when CBS wanted to put on a new kind of western, one aimed at more mature audiences. Two previous radio writers, Sam Rolfe and Herb Meadow put together a script centering around an educated, fine fine and woman loving gunslinger who named himself after Charlemagne's Knights, Paladin. They seeked to put famed Western star, Randolph Scott in the role of the San Francisco based character who could quote Shakespeare while being a mercenary for hire by wealthy, but justice seeking clients. There was a radio version of HGWT, played by John Dehner, but he was stuck doing The Roaring 20's for Warner Brothers. Also, the contractual obligations of Randolph Scott caused the shows producers (Frank Pierson, Don Ingalls, Robert Sparks, and Julian Claman) to consider Richard Boone, someone needed to make the duality of Paladin come to life with his rough but erudite demeanor. The logo for the show was the calling card with a white knight chess piece on it with the writing: Have Gun, Will Travel/Wire Paladin, San Francisco. Near his Carlton Hotel was The Oriental Hotel where one of the Chinese attendants, either Hey-Boy, (played by Kam Tong in all but part of 1960-61 or Hey-Girl, (Lisa Lu replaced Tong) would bring answers to his advertisements, but one or the other were the only regular cast members-- basically Boone had to carry the whole show.

Not really amazingly, because of the uniqueness, Richard Boone as Paladin, dressed in black2, with his slow talking, educated, but still gruff and threatening delivery, became a hit. Boone was a very hard working "method actor", of which sometimes partnered actor Harry Morgan relates, "Like {George C.} Scott, Dick has a sponge-like brain for acting. His instincts and techniques are perfect. Only he and Scott, among all American actors today, can dominate the screen with such power. By 1960 onwards he took over the show, (in all but name only), directed 27 episodes, as he said in 1960:

It's the director who has all the fun. Any time a camera is involved it's the director who tells the story, more than the writer, producer or anybody else. And that's what I want to do.

He insisted on "Frederic Remington" details --denying access to reporters or other observers on the set to spoil the mood. Its success was helped by novice writers coming from other genres, that included Gene Roddenbury, helping propel it to the top five of that initial season3.

 

The storyline inevidently would involve this West Point graduate and Civil War Veteran finishing off any bad guys that managed to injure him, (sparing the less evil ones) and he was known to change allegiences from his original benefactor upon learning of their villanous ways (compared by some to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness deep moody character, Captain Marlowe).

As the fanbase grew, even women loved this growly sophisticated cowboy with pocked marked face with the black moustache (which actually was lighter than what they pencilled over). Boone, himself admitted:

Paladin is a character people seem to like. He's an intriguing sort of guy with an air of mystery about him.

And:

I guess Paladin is so attractive to women because he's so formidable, yet so gentle at the same time.
The critics had a heyday with the show with one-liners like, "Where else can you see a gun fight and absorb a classical education at the same time?4 Titles of articles called Richard Boone and Paladin, "TV's Rebellious Cowboy", an "Angry Gun, and they extolled him as having "Sex Appeal, Will Travel," or aked us: "Hero Worship--Healthy or Harmful?" And a High School teacher wrote in: "Yours is the only Western I recommend to my students. You speak English."

 

In 1958 Johnny Western, who was grateful for appearing in one of that year's shows had written a theme song and sent it to executive Sam Rolfe, who changed a line and to which Richard Boone added some input on spicing up the rhythm thus giving him co-credits on what became a hit single.

Have Gun, Will Travel Theme Song

Have Gun, Will Travel- reads the card of a man,
A knight without armor in a savage land.

His fast gun for hire, he's the calling wind.
A soldier of fortune is the man called Paladin.

Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam?
Paladin, Paladin, far, far from home.

Intermission
A Star Shines Elsewhere

By 1960, Boone was a star, and he landed bigger roles on the big screen, albeit playing Pontius Pilate in The Robe had him as a bit of the heavy; and he interestingly did the voice-over for the eulogy at the end of that year's Ocean's Eleven a perk from his old director buddy, Lewis Milestone. He had a lauded part on a 1959 Playhouse 90's praised "The Tunnel," written by David Shaw. And in 1960 he played Lincoln, again in The Right Man. Even more interesting is his role as General Sam Houston in that year's cinematic retelling of The Alamo, where he only wanted the buckskin costume worn for his little over half a days work instead of pay, but star John Wayne4 gave him a Rolls Royce as well, but Boone, known for wearing loud and flashy clothes, traded it in for a Maserati. (Son Peter still has the suede coat.) He was in another western, A Thunder of Drums in 1961,

Act VIII
Every time you go to the well, it's a little further down
----Richard Boone
The Richard Boone Show

By the time 1962 rolled around (a year he had read Pulitzer awardee Stephen Vincent Benet's John Brown's Body) Richard Boone began to feel it was time to move on to something else, especially before any degradation took place with HGWT, and September of 1963 it all rode off into the sunset. He had saved enough "go to Hell money" from the bonanza (no pun intended) he made from HGWT6 to now follow through with the idea he proposed to CBS several years back about a reportory theater concept called The Richard Boone Show, that execs wanted to bury on Sunday non-prime time. He gathered the interest and writing from playwright Clifford Odets, got production help from Goodson-Todman, and finally Robert Kintner of NBC, made the idea come to being in the fall of 1963 with a workshop of ten other good actors. Kintner had explained:

I was impressed not only with the repertory theater idea, but with Boone, Odets and their group. This could be the greatest thing ever presented, or it could attract very little audience. But we felt it was the kind of thing TV should try.
This company of thespians directed by Boone featured, Harry Morgan, Robert Blake, Guy Stockwell, Laura Devon, Lloyd Bocher, Bethel Leslie, June Rainey, Jeannet Nolan, and June Harding (as well as Boone). Odets was able to write two of the scripts, while also in the capacity of editing other contributions. Only 25 episodes were finished, and Odets died in August of its first year, 1963. Richard Boone had to beg Reynold's aluminum not take it out of it's evening slot. This collection of varied thought provoking stories got a 1964 Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series, critical acclaim from even Cleveland Amory,
The range is wide, the characterizations are as original as the idea, and the acting is nothing short of superb
But, the couch potatoes watching Petticoat Junction and the sponsors had more pull than even Boone's fronted personal money could maintain, and thus became the glass empty part of Kintner's prophecy when it was cancelled in January 1964. Boone reading a article based on a leak of the canning expasperatedly ignited and burst:
This was a completely cavalier pulling out of the rug. Of course, a thing like this is hard to separate out. There is a great deal of personal hurt, disappointment, chagrin, professional embarrassment, and a hell of a lot of anger and resentment that the thinking people of this country are being disenfranchised by Nielsen's nitwits.
Several disgruntled viewers wrote TV Guide that Spring of 1964 with comments like:
The Richard Boone Show...was an artistic achievement and it will be interesting indeed to see what sort of tripe NBC will try to foist on us this coming September in this time slot.

Act IX
Blue in Hawaii

Richard Boone moved to Hawaii that same year, 1964 his show was axed, but he thumbed downed a role to play a detective in Hawaii in a television show that initially was to be called The Man. Eventually Jack Lord took the part in what would finally become Hawaii 5-O. He taught acting while running Pioneer Productions. For the rest of this decade commuted to the mainland to appear in assorted cinematic productions: Rio Conchos in 1964, The War Lord in 1965, a "heavy" again in the Paul Newman vehicle, Hombre, in 1967, The Arrangement] in 1968 (a year when he got to work closer to home in Kona Coast, and The Night of the Following Day in 1969. The next decade started out with The Kremlin Letter, Madron,, and Little Big Man. Next year was going to be something special besides the celluloid work, Big Jake,.

Act X
Oh, Hec With It

The pilot movie that Boone starred in that possibly put him in the TV western spotlight was Hec Ramsey -- The Century Turns. The rest of the Jack Webb produced movie length Hec Ramsey series became part of Sunday Night Mystery Shows; which took turns with a few other made for TV pieces. In typical fashion Boone was always strongly interacting with the staff concerning details. Until its finish 1973-74 it provided the viewing public yet another intriguing character as Boone described:

I like this Hec Ramsey. He's dead honest. He walks right through all the ridiculous standards of Victorian America. He's Paladin, from Have Gun--Will Travel, grown older. If Paladin had lived all those years, he would have run out of patience with the idiots and would've gotten as grumpy as Hec. He would have said to the dame, "Lady, you're not in distress. You're just stupid."
And:
You know, Hec Ramsey is a lot like Paladin, only fatter.
And as to more qualifications he added:
Ramsey is a cantankerous S-O-B so I felt qualified to play him. He's an iconoclast, a nonconformist and a rough old bear. He doesn't like pretense and the word "compromise" isn't in his vocabulary. He's my kind of guy and I like playing him.

He taught acting again at Flagler college for the rest of the seventies while making more movies for both screens, TV: In Broad Daylight, 1971, the farce Goodnight My Love, Deadly Harvest 1972, The Great Niagra 1974, and with thanks for its extinction, The Last Dinosaur in 1977. His final movies of the decade and just into the next were 1975's Against a Crooked Sky, the Shootist, God's Gunin 1976 followed by The Big Sleep and the voice of Smaug the Dragon in the cartoon The Hobbit in 1978, and his last movie The Bushido Blade in 1979.

Finale

This member of the Academy of Television Picture Arts and Sciences, a three-time winner of the American Television Critics Best Actor, and five-time Emmy nominee finally met a worse villain than he ever met, cancer -of the throat and it took him away while in St. Augustine, Florida on January 10, 1981. They let the winds blow his ashes to the four winds, and the seven seas at his beloved Kona Coast in Hawaii.

Notes

1
     Medic

Ironically, the meager budget from sponsor Dow Chemical forced Moser to seek access to the Los Angeles County Medical Association and their facilities, and they forced him to put in writing that they would allow the LACMA oversee of the medical accuracy in the scripts, something that Moser was seeking anyway. The medical authorities were clear on wanting nothing but a modest, but highly professional image portrayed (as there was some fear of doctor's growing power at this time).

 

It's first show produced by Frank LaTourette and Worthington Miner was seen in the fall season of 1954, and followed with two more years, with critical acclaim for its "well documented" realism by Look magazine, and TV Guide said the show was a "shocker" "without pulling any punches." Boone said (after success in his second TV series) about consequences of being in Medic:

I was a father figure. I used to get letters by the hundreds. Many of them asked to diagnose some illnesses; those that didn't said I had an interesting face. Fortunately, Paladin came along soon, so I could trade my stethoscope for a six-gun.

 

The first episode used a real shot of a live birth in a story of a mother dying giving birth to a surviving child. In a later show they received strong criticism from the Catholic Church over a too graphic rendering of a cesarean delivery. In At another time, skittery executives warned by Southern stations caused a rift after they shelved a story involving a black doctor agnonizing over leaving the metropolis practice for his rural home. Those kinds of controversies and poor ratings garnered while trying to compete with the untouchable I Love Lucy show caused the plug to pulled after the fall season of 1956. Still, this show's 59 episodes set the pace for its descendants in this genre for the authenticity; but later similar medical dramas added more personal subplots, including Moser's Ben Casey. The show's intro music was "Blue Star (the Medic Theme) music scored by Victor Poplar Young, and lyrics by Edward Heyman.

Selected Episodes

  • "My Brother Joe"
  • "Flash of Darkness"
  • "A Time to Be Alive"
  • "Dr. Impossible"
  • "Breath of Life"
  • "Break Through the Bars"
  • "'Till the Song is Done, 'Till the Dance is Gone"
  • "Death is a Red Balloon"
  • "Long Tomorrow"
  • "The Storm"
  • "The Field of Neurology"
  • "With This Ring"

2
     Have Gun Will Travel

He actually wore a dark blue shirt and pants, but this was shot in black and white. He had a custom made extra lengthened barrelled Colt .44 with a one ounce trigger, and he only wore the black outfit when on one of his $1,000 dollar missions, as he would lounge in his hotel with fancy pleated shirts, enjoying imported brandy while puffing on half-a-dollar cigars. This "good guy" also went against the grain, not just with the black clothes and moustache, but he, unlike preceding cowboy heroes, did not have a rapport with his horse. At home he wore colorful capris with coarse-grained jackets with silk lining, and toned it down going to the job with sweaters over his shorts, and comfortably shod with sandals.

3

The show went on in its four seasons (All 5 years totalled 156 half hour episodes) to hold at least the number three spot in the ratings. Even today, this show stands at number twenty four of TV Guide's all time favorite fifty greatest TV characters. He graced the cover of that magazine several time's and there were many collectibles made in the form of comics and other books, board games, the ubiquitous lunch boxes, wallets and the like.

4

To put the combination of "offbeat" and literature in this show in its sometimes anachronistic perspective, Arnold Hano penned in 1958:
Boone {as Paladin} was recently in the midst of a gun war that saw four men killed and himself creased. When the last gun echo had died away, Boone cracked, "There is a certain similarity between this and George Bernard Shaw, but I can't quite put my finger on it."
And another 1961 interview had him explain:
When I direct a show, I'm pretty arbitrary... If I have a fault, it's that I see an end and go for it with all my energy; and if I'm bugged with people who don't see it or won't go for it, it looks as though I'm riding all over them.

 

Another amusing factoid, Boone gave out approximately 84,000 facsimiles of the Have Gun, Will Travel calling cards. He got one answer from some Georgia football fans asking, "DEAR PAL: PLEASE KILL COACH TUBBS IMMEDIATELY." And at 1959's Tournament of Roses, in which Boone participated on horseback, a man yelled out, "Hey Paladin, I've got a job for you!" until the guy's woman with him, as Boone remembers, "...conked him with her handbag."

The Episodes of all 6 Seasons:
Have Gun, Will Travel: The First Season

Three Bells to Perdido; First aired Sept. 14 1957 as the *Original Pilot*: Big cattle rancher contracts Paladin to go to Mexico after his daughter. Co-stars Jack Lord (later-- Hawaii Five-O).
Outlaw; f.a. Sept. 21, 1957, c.s. Charles Bronson (Death Wish).
Great Mojave Chase; Sept. 28, 1957.
Winchester Quarantine; Oct. 5, 1957.
Matter of Ethics; Oct. 12, 1957.
Bride; Oct. 19, 1957.
Strange Vendetta; Oct. 26, 1957.
High Wire; Nov. 2, 1957.
Show of Force; Nov. 9, 1957.
Long Night; Nov. 16, 1957.
Colonel and the Lady; Nov. 23, 1957.
No Visitors; Nov. 30, 1957, June Lockhart.
Englishman; Dec. 7, 1957.
Yuma Treasure; Dec. 14, 1957.
Hanging Cross; Dec. 21, 1957.
Helen of Abajnian; Dec. 28, 1957.
Ella West; Jan. 4, 1958.
Reasonable Man; Jan. 11, 1958.
High Graders; Jan. 18, 1958.
Last Laugh; Jan. 25, 1958, Stuart Whitman.
Bostonian; Feb. 1, 1958.
Singer; Feb. 8, 1958.
Bitter Wine; Feb. 15, 1958.
Girl from Piccadilly; Feb. 22, 1958.
O'Hare Story; Mar. 1, 1958.
Birds of a Feather; Mar. 8, 1958.
Teacher; Mar. 15, 1958.
Killer's Widow; Mar. 22. 1958.
Gun Shy; Mar. 29, 1958, Dan Blocker (Bonanza).
Prize Fight Story; Apr. 5, 1958.
Hey Boy's Revenge; Apr. 12, 1958, Pernell Roberts (Bonanza).
Five Books of Owen Beaver; Apr. 26, 1958.
Silver Queen; May 3, 1958.
Three Sons; May 10, 1958.
Twenty-Four Hours to North Fork May 17, 1958, June Lockhart (Lost In Space)
Deliver the Body; May 24, 1958.
Silver Convoy; May 31, 1958.
Manhunter; June 7, 1958, James Franciscus.
Statue of San Sebastian; June 14, 1958, John Carradine.

Have Gun, Will Travel: The Second Season

In an Evil Time; Sept. 13, 1958.
Man Who Wouldn't Talk; Sept. 20, 1958.
Gentleman ; Sept. 27, 1958, Charles Bronson.
Hanging of Roy Carter Oct. 4, 1958.
Duel at Florence Oct. 11, 1958.
Protege Oct. 18, 1958.
Road to Wickenberg Oct. 25, 1958
Sense of Justice Nov. 1 1958
Young Gun Nov.8 1958
Lady Nov.15 1958
Share for Murder Nov. 22 1958 (Harry Morgan)
Ballad of Oscar Wilde Dec.6, 1958.
Solid Gold Patrol Dec. 13, 1958
Something to Live For Dec. 20, 1958.
Moor's Revenge Dec. 27, 1958, Vincent Price, Morey Amsterdam
Wager Jan. 3, 1959, Denver Pyle (Gilligan's Island).
Taffeta Mayor Jan. 10, 1959.
Lady on the Stagecoach Jan. 17, 1959.
Treasure Trail Jan. 24, 1959.
Juliet Jan. 31, 1959.
Man Who Lost Feb. 7, 1959, James Drury.
Scorched Feather Feb. 14 1959, Lon Chaney Jr.
Return of the Lady Feb.21,1959
Monster of Moon Ridge Feb. 28, 1959, Robert Forster.
Long Hunt Mar. 7, 1959.
Death of a Gunfighter Mar. 14, 1959, Suzanne Pleshette.
Incident at Borasca Bend Mar. 21, 1959.
Maggie O'Bannion Apr. 4, 1959, Don Haggerty.
Chase Apr. 11, 1959.
Alaska Apr. 18, 1959.
Hunt the Man Down Apr. 25, 1959, Jack Elam.
Return of Roy Carter May 2, 1959.
Sons of Aaron Murdock May 9, 1959.
Commanche May 16, 1959.
Homecoming May 23,1959.
Fifth Man May 30, 1959.
Heritage of Anger June 6, 1959,
Haunted Trees June 13, 1959,
Gold and Brimstone June 20, 1959,

Have Gun, Will Travel: The Third Season

First, Catch a Tiger Sep. 12, 1959,
Episode in Laredo Sep. 19, 1959, J. Pat O'Malley.
Les Girls Sep. 26, 1959.
Posse Oct. 3, 1959, Denver Pyle.
Shot by Request; Oct. 10, 1959.
Pancho Oct. 24, 1959.
Fragile Oct. 31, 1959, Werner Klemperer.
Unforgiven Nov. 7, 1959.
Black Hankerchief Nov. 14, 1959.
Gold Toad Nov. 21, 1959.
Tiger Nov. 28, 1959.
Champaigne Safari Dec. 5, 1959.
Charley Red Dog Dec. 12, 1959.
Naked Gun Dec. 19, 1959.
One Came Back Dec. 26, 1959, James Coburn.
Prophet Jan. 2, 1960.
Day of the Bad Man Jan. 9, 1960.
Pledge Jan. 16, 1960.
Jenny Jan. 23, 1960.
Return to Fort Benjamin Jan. 30, 1960
Night the Town Died Feb. 6, 1960.
Ledge Feb. 13, 1960.
Lady on the Wall Feb. 20, 1960.
Misguided Father Feb. 27, 1960.
Hatchet Man Mar. 5, 1960.
Fight at Adobe Wells Mar. 12, 1960.
Gladiators Mar. 19, 1960, James Coburn.
Love and a Bad Woman Mar. 26, 1960.
An International Affair Apr. 2, 1960.
Lady with a Gun Apr. 9, 1960.
Never Help the Devil Apr. 16, 1960.
Ambush Apr. 23, 1960.
Black Sheep Apr. 30, 1960.
Full Circle May 14, 1960.
Twins May 21, 1960.
Campaign of Billy Banjo May 28, 1960.
Ransom June 4, 1960, Denver Pyle.
Trial June 11, 1960.
Search June 18, 1960.

Have Gun, Will Travel: The Fourth Season

Fatalist Sep. 10, 1960.
Love's Young Dream Sep. 17, 1960.
Head of Hair Sep. 24, 1960, George Kennedy.
Out at the Old Ball Park Oct. 1, 1960, J. Pat O'Malley.
Saturday Night Oct. 8, 1960, Martin Balsam.
Calf Oct. 15, 1960, Denver Pyle
Tender Gun Oct. 22, 1960.
Shooting of Jesse May Oct. 29, 1960. Robert Blake
Poker Friend Nov.1, 1960, Warren Oates, Peter Falk (Columbo).
Crowbait Nov. 19, 1960.
Marshal's Boy Nov. 26, 1960.
Fogg Bound Dec. 3, 1960.
Legacy Dec. 10, 1960, George Kennedy.
Prisoner Dec. 17, 1960.
Puppeteer Dec. 24, 1960, Denver Pyle.
Vernon Goode Dec. 31, 1960.
Quiet Night in Town - Part 1 Jan. 7, 1961.
Quiet Night in Town - Part 2 Jan. 14, 1961.
Princess and the Gunfighter Jan. 21, 1961.
Shadow of a Man Jan. 28, 1961.
Long Way Home Feb. 4, 1961.
Tax Gatherer Feb. 11, 1961.
Fatal Flaw Feb. 25, 1961.
Fandango Mar. 4, 1961 .
Last Judgement Mar. 11, 1961.
Gold Bar Mar. 18, 1961.
Everyman Mar. 25, 1961.
Siege Apr. 1, 1961.
Long Weekend Apr. 8, 1961.
El Paso Stage Apr. 15, 1961, Buddy Ebsen.
Duke of Texas Apr. 22, 1961.
Broken Image Apr. 29, 1961.
My Brother's Keeper May 6, 1961.
Bear Bait May 13, 1961.
Cure May 20, 1961.
Road May 27, 1961, George Kennedy.
Uneasy Grave June 3, 1961, Werner Klemperer.
Soledad Crossing June 10, 1961.

Have Gun, Will Travel: The Fifth Season

Vigil Sep. 16, 1961. George Kennedy.
Education of Sara Jane Sep. 23, 1961
Revenger Sep. 30, 1961.
Odds for a Big Red Oct. 7, 1961.
Proof of Love Oct. 14, 1961, Charles Bronson, George Kennedy.
Gospel Singer Oct. 21, 1961.
Race Oct. 28, 1961.
Hanging of Aaron Gibbs Nov.4, 1961.
Piano Nov. 11, 1961.
Ben Jalisco Nov. 18, 1961, Charles Bronson.
Brothers Nov. 25, 1961, Buddy Ebsen.
Drop of Blood Dec. 2, 1961.
Knight to Remember Dec. 9, 1961.
Blind Circle Dec. 16, 1961.
Squatter's Rights Dec. 23, 1961.
Justice in Hell Jan. 6, 1962.
Mark of Cain Jan. 13, 1962.
Lazarus Jan. 20, 1962.
Exiles Jan. 27, 1962.
Hunt Feb. 3, 1962.
Dream Girl Feb. 10, 1962.
One, Two, Three Feb. 17, 1962.
Waiting Room Feb. 24, 1962.
Trap Mar. 3, 1962.
Don't Shoot the Piano Player Mar. 10, 1962, George Kennedy.
Alive Mar. 17, 1962.
Man Who Struck Moonshine Mar. 24, 1962, William Conrad.
Silent Death Mar. 31, 1962.
Hobson's Choice Apr. 7, 1962.
Coming of the Tiger Apr. 14, 1962.
Darwin's Man Apr. 21, 1962.
Invasion Apr. 28, 1962.
Cream of the Jest May 5, 1962.
Bandit May 12, 1962.
Pandora's Box May 19, 1962.
Jonah May 26, 1962.
Knight June 2, 1962.

Have Gun, Will Travel: The Sixth Season

Genesis Sep. 15, 1962, William Conrad. This story uses flashbacks to give the background story on Paladin turning mercenary.
Taylor's Woman Sep. 22, 1962
Fifth Bullet Sep. 29, 1962
Place for Abel Hix Oct. 6, 1962
Beau Geste Oct. 13, 1962
Bird of Time Oct. 20, 1962
Memories of Monica Oct. 27, 1962
Predators Nov. 3, 1962
Shootout at Hogtooth Nov. 10, 1962
Miracle for St. Francis Nov. 17, 1962
Marshal of Sweetwater Nov. 24, 1962
Man in an Hourglass Dec. 1, 1962
Penelope Dec. 8, 1962
Trial at Tablerock Dec. 15, 1962
Be Not Forgetful to Strangers Dec.22,1962
Treasure Dec. 29, 1962, DeForest Kelley ("Bones" original Star Trek), Lee Van Cleef)
Brotherhood Jan. 5, 1963, Charles Bronson.
Bob Wire Jan. 12, 1963.
Debutante Jan. 19, 1963.
Unforgiving Minute Jan. 26, 1963.
American Primative Feb. 2, 1963, Harry Morgan.
Burning Tree Feb. 9, 1963, Elinor Donahue)
Cage at McNaab Feb. 1, 1963, Lon Chaney.
Caravan Feb. 23, 1963.
Walking Years Mar. 2, 1963.
Sweet Lady of the Moon Mar. 9, 1963.
Savages Mar. 16, 1963.
Eve of St. Elmo Mar. 23, 1963, George Kennedy.
Lady of the Fifth Moon Mar. 30, 1963
Two Plus One Apr. 6, 1963.
Black Bull Apr. 13, 1963.
Face of a Shadow Apr. 20, 1963, Lee Van Cleef.
Sanctuary June 22, 1963.
Mountebank Aug. 3, 1963.

_____________________________

 

5

Boone would work with "The Duke" many more times, and with Wayne in The Shootist he was really wearing the black hat. He acted with him in Rio Conchos playing Lassiter with him in 1964.

6


He made $50,000 a year for 20 years from HGWT. The Richard Boone Show did a similar deferred payment plan paying him $20,000 a week.

Sources:
http://members.aol.com/lloldham/html
http://www.tv-now.com/stars/palladin.html
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/H/htmlH/havengunwil/havegunwil.htm
http://members.aol.com/CoinOper/havegunwilltravel.html
http://www.classicthemes.com/50sTVThemes/themePages/medic.html
http://www.eonline.com/Facts/Movies/0,60,29688,00.html)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.