In combat parlance, Rhodesian ready is a stance for use with long arms (i.e. rifles and shotguns).

The stock of the weapon is tucked into the right (for right-handed) armpit with the left hand gripping the forestock and the right hand resting on the midstock, usually with the fingertips resting on the outside of the trigger guard. The muzzle is pointed down toward the ground.

    Advantages:
  • Allows for an unobstructed view in all directions.
  • Less fatiguing for long periods of time than high ready or low ready because pressure need not be applied to press the butt of the weapon against the shoulder.
  • Allows transition to quick fire or standing fire position faster than the transition to the same positions from patrol ready stance.
    Disadvantages:
  • Is slightly slower than high ready or low ready when making a transition to a firing position.
  • Compared with patrol ready stance, is a more antagonistic stance.
  • With a shotgun, it's not as safe as high stances when moving as a team as accidental discharge may endanger other team members.

Not surprising, anecdotal etymology indicates that the term originates from the patrol stance used by British patrols in Rhodesia (what is now Zimbabwe).


References

  1. Taylor, Chuck. Combat Shotgun And Submachine Gun : A Special Weapons Analysis. ISBN 0873643127

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.