Rhein Fire is one of the three German teams in the NFL Europe. It is named after the river which flows through Rhein Fire's home city Düsseldorf: Rhein (or English: Rhine). They play in the Rheinstadion, which is normally the stadion of the soccer team Fortuna Düsseldorf. They joined the NFL Europe together with Scottish Claymores and Amsterdam Admirals.
Together with Frankfurt Galaxy they are the most successful team, when counting the won World Bowls. Both won two World Bowls, Rheinfire their first in 1998 in their only fourth season. After having loosing seasons in their both starting years (1995: 4-6, 1996: 3-7). 1997 was finished with a 7-3 record. They entered the World Bowl, but lost against the Barcelona Dragons. 1998 regular season ended with the same record and they got into the World Bowl for the second consecutive time. After 1999, which was again a winning season, but not crowned with the participation in the World Bowl, 2000 was a more successful year: In the foruth winning season in row (7-3), they won the World Bowl against the Scottish Claymores. 2001 was finished with the first even record in team history.
A most of the normal players change from year to year, Rhein Fire's only real star is the ex-soccer hero Manfred Burgsmüller who does the kicking (but mainly extra points). This practice was later copied by Berlin Thunder, as their kicker is a ex-soccer player, too.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.