The RCP USA was founded by Chariman Bob Avakian in 1976. The pary folows the philosophy of Marxism-Leninism-Maoism and calls for an immediate uprising of the workers and disenfranchised of America to form a new communist society, with the RCP acting as the vanguard, valiantly leading the masses to freedom.

They are active in most large American cities and sell their newspapers at various left-wing functions. They are active supporters of Mumia Abu-Jamal and Leonard Peltier.

They are currently creating a new Programme and this is what they have to say about it:

"The RCP,USA is launching a great project. We plan to produce a new Programme of our Party--and we want to involve the revolutionary masses in helping to produce it. A Party Programme -- a Marxist-Leninist-Maoist Programme -- is a battle plan for destroying the old and creating the new. It is a kind of road map for how to win the revolution -- and a clear statement of what winning in the fullest sense really means. It is a tool for understanding this society, and the world, and for identifying all the forces who will make revolution -- proletarian revolution. As Mao said: 'Who are our enemies? Who are our friends? This is a question of the first importance for the revolution.'"

Here's a bit of spiel from Chairman Bob on the differences beteween MLM and Anarchism

MLM vs. Anarchism:
Why Do We Need A Vanguard Party

by Bob Avakian
Revolutionary Worker #921, Aug. 31, 1997

One of the main points raised by anarchism is that there is no need for, no positive role for, a vanguard party--that such vanguard parties constitute elite and unnecessary hierarchical structures which stand in the way of liberation, and where they come to power such vanguards inevitably become new oppressive and tyrannical ruling cliques.
It is the same refrain as the song by "The Who" back in the days of the '60s and early '70s: "meet the new boss--same as the old boss...hope we don't get fooled again." This is a very common refrain among petit bourgeois forces--it is an outlook that "strikes a chord" with the spontaneous outlook of even many of the radical petit bourgeois forces.

This question is addressed very directly in the article "Why You Really Need This Kind of Party If You Are Serious About Making Revolution" (sometimes referred to as the "Little Steven article," because it takes off around the line in a song by "Little Steven" Van Zandt about not needing or wanting a party to tell you what to do). As pointed out in that article, the vanguard party exists and needs to exist not because communists want to find a way that they can hitch-hike on the revolution--or ride the backs of a mass revolutionary uprising--and then get themselves into power and become a new group of exploiters. Rather, the vanguard party needs to exist because, given the contradictions in class-divided society, the exploiting system and the class forces that represent and rule in that system cannot be overthrown and finally abolished without such a vanguard party.

----------------------------------------------------------

Whew, that's quite a mouthful. Anyhow I used to run with these folx back from 88-90. And while there were some kewl kids hanging out dreaming of revolution, the party itself was a bit scarry. Like who the heck is Bob Avakian? Why does he get to be chairman? And why doesn't the party like me smoking pot, but it's ok to drink beer?

Then there was always the nagging little notion hanging around in the back of my head that these guys were just a front for something else... maybe the FBI, maybe the Masons, maybe the lawyers, or the Jewish conspiracy...

All I know is that after hanging out with them for a few years and listening to them spew propaganda and ignore the fact that their leading inspiration Chairman Mao was a butcher and mass murderer... well i got the feeling that something wasn't completly kosher. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.