An alternate approach:
- Wear inconspicuous clothing that makes it easy for you to hide, but does not make you look like a serial killer.
- Acquire some typical Halloween candy. One bag of Hershey's Miniatures will cover most of a small college dormitory.
- Knock on a door.
- If no one answers, knock harder.
- If no one still answers, move on.
- If someone answers, THROW CANDY AT THEM. One or two pieces. Not hard, of course. Toss underhand. Aim for the midriff.
- If candy has not run out, return to step 3.
It is very important that you refuse all requests for information about who you are and what you're doing
(unless they come from the authorities
), and that you avoid eye contact
. Some of your marks
may peek out the door and ask questions insistently. Simply carry on, glancing at them with a nervous smile. If they become more bold, you may be forced to flee. If they back you into a corner, throw more candy at them
until they leave an opening for you to escape.
Several dormitories can be covered quickly, leaving you with the thick plastic sacks the candy comes in stuffed into your pockets, feeling like a stranger, removed from the world, empty but light.