Real Name Frederick Eikerenkootter - better know as the aforementioned Reverend Ike.

Reverend Ike was truly a one of a kind televangelist iin the early 70's. At that time, he was one of the most visible blacks in the country and his weekly sermons were broadcast from New York City by over 1,700 television and radio stations across America. He embodied his message of capital consumption.

People could say what they will about the good Reverend but he definitely practiced what he preached. At the height of his "ministry", he bragged that he owned sixteen mink lined Rolls-Royces, wore thousand dollar suits, and sported diamond rings on both of his hands. He also owned or owns mansions on both the East and West Coasts. Its estimated that his yearly income was somwhere between 6 and 15 million dollars a year and that might be lowballing it some since he asks for all of his donations in cash. In his Harlem church, when the collection plate came around, he often told members of his flock that he didn't appreciate the sound of loose change.

Some Reverend Ike quotes:

"The Bible says Jesus rode on a borrowed ass. But I would rather ride in a Rolls Royce than to ride somebody's ass!"

"The best thing you can do for the poor is not to be one of them"

"The LACK of money is the root of all evil."

"Forget about the pie in the sky, get yours here and now."

"Everything is a condition of the mind."

"If it's that difficult for a rich man to get into heaven, think how terrible it must be for a poor man to get in . He doesn't even have a bribe for the gatekeeper."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.