Revelling

You were so in love
that it was all you could talk about,
and I think I felt a little left out.
You were on cloud 9 all the time,
while I was levelling.

I was wringing my hands and you were revelling.


But then why shouldn't you?
It was such a beautiful thing to do.


Would that I could get me some
of your yum yum delirium.
I could level off the ground that we stand on.
But with you down on bended knee
always looking up at me,
that feeling of standing up together is gone.

And though I love you through all time and space,
my love always seems to take second place

You were so in love
that it was all you could talk about,
and I think I felt a little left out.
You were on cloud 9 all the time,
while I was levelling.

I was wringing my hands and you were revelling.


But then why shouldn't you?
It was such a beautiful thing to do.



-o: Ani DiFranco :o-
-o: Revelling/Reckoning :o-


No one's going to waste a second of pity on you. You're the asshole. You're the miserable and callous self-absorbed individual whose only purpose in life is to hurt others. First you trick them into caring for you and then you crush their heart. You hurt them; Bad.

But then, that's what everyone thinks. To even express your doubt or hope for something different is likely to only increase your appearance as an 'asshole' to the outside world. Ani's Revelling is an honest and sensitive reaction to being in that situation. You care about someone and have spent time with them only to come to the conclusion that you're not in love with them. It certainly doesn't make it any easier that they're in love with you. The resulting guilt is gut wrenching and inescapable. The temptation to stay in the relationship is everpresent, if only to escape hurting someone you care about so badly. You can't begrudge someone, or resent them because of their love. It is always a beautiful thing, as Ani describes it to be, but unfortuntaely it does not preempt requiting.

How I wish I was in love with you - if only to take your pain away, if only to make everything alright - because I see how much you are in love with me.

* see Barenaked Ladies' Break Your Heart

Copyright permission forthcoming 8/19/03

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.