Restless is 2 am, sore all over but hating the idea of sleep. It's knowing that you will do tomorrow what you did today and yesterday. It's knowing that the weeks repeat and time flows like spilled oil.

Restless is having a billion ideas but nothing to show for them. Restless is sitting on the edge of your chair for nothing you know of. Restless is one hundred dreams a minute. Restless is staring at the ceiling, while the images dance away in your mind.

Restless is Monday and Friday. It's air-conditioning in the spring. It's looking at a map. It's timidity and unwritten volumes.

Restless is thinking in agony.

Rest"less, a. [AS. restle�xa0;s.]

1.

Never resting; unquiet; uneasy; continually moving; as, a restless child.

Chaucer. "Restless revolution day by day."

Milton.

2.

Not satisfied to be at rest or in peace; averse to repose or quiet; eager for change; discontented; as, restless schemers; restless ambition; restless subjects.

"Restless at home , and ever prone to range."

Dryden.

3.

Deprived of rest or sleep.

Restless he passed the remnants of the night. Dryden.

4.

Passed in unquietness; as, the patient has had a restless night.

5.

Not affording rest; as, a restless chair.

Cowper.

Restless thrush. Zool. See Grinder, 3.

Syn. -- Unquiet; uneasy; disturbed; disquieted; sleepless; agitated; unsettled; roving; wandering.

-- Rest"less*ly, adv.- Rest"less*ness, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.