T*HQ acquired the license of make video games based on the Ren and Stimpy characters from Nickelodeon, and this is yet another of the games produced as a result of that acquisition. However, players had not taken a shine to the Ren and Stimpy games thus far; each one had been a greater disappointment than the last. Thus, when Ren and Stimpy Fire Dogs was released in 1993 T*HQ struck a deal with Blockbuster Video to offer this game as rental only. That is, it would not be available for retail sale, only for rent at Blockbuster.

The game is based on the "classic" Ren and Stimpy episode "Fire Dogs". Our heros are masquerading as fire dogs at the local fire department and must play the part in order to keep their jobs. Since the Fire Chief thinks Stimpy is a circus midget (the game's description, not mine), he must stay covered in dalmation paint at all times to avoid being crushed by the chief. Each day of the week is a new level, and each level is divided into two parts. In the first part Stimpy has a limited time to collect the missing eqiupment from the fire truck (such as gloves, hat, beaver, etc.) from the fire house and then it up on the truck. However, this is not nearly enough time to complete the job at the speed that Stimpy trudges along. Pressing Y allows him to run, but alas he is incapable of stopping on a dime and often he'll skid right on past the target. Plus there numerous hazards in the fire house such as water to wash off that dalmation paint and open flames to knock units off of Stimpy's life meter. The second half of the level involves the duo racing along the street with trying to rescue junk that is thrown from buildings. Catch as much as you can before time runs out to advance to the next level... which is just a repeat of the fire house again, this time with the missing items moved to different locations and less time to collect them all. The game repeats this cycle again and again and again.

The graphics are pretty good compared to past T*HQ Ren and Stimpy games, but the audio is repetitive as the same songs from the cartoon play over and over again (the majority of them based on classical music). This is not a game to add to your collection (which has got to be the reason it went on the rental-only circuit) and if you want to buy it you'll be in for a challenge finding it because, as I've said, it was never actually available for retail sale (until Blockbuster Video unloaded their copies on the public). Your best bet is to find the ROM online if you insist on playing this game.


References:
I actually rented this game back in the day. Woe is me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.