Removal Of Material From NSA Spaces
(From the NSA Handbook)

The Agency maintains strict controls regarding the removal of material from its installations, particularly in the case of classified material.

Only under a very limited and official circumstances classified material be removed from Agency spaces. When deemed necessary, specific authorization is required to permit an individual to hand carry classified material out of an NSA building to another Secure Area. Depending on the material and circumstances involved, there are several ways to accomplish this.

A Courier Badge authorizes the wearer, for official purposes, to transport classified material, magnetic media, or Class II prohibited items between NSA facilities. These badges, which are strictly controlled, are made available by the Physical Security Division (M51) only to those offices which have specific requirements justifying their use.

An Annual Security Pass may be issued to individuals whose official duties require that they transport printed classified materials, information storage media, or Class II prohibited items to secure locations within the local area. Materials carried by an individual who displays this pass are subject to spot inspection by Security Protective Officers or other personnel from the Office of Security. It is not permissible to use an Annual Security Pass for personal convenience to circumvent inspection of your personal property by perimeter Security Protective Officers.

If you do not have access to a Courier Badge and you have not been issued an Annual Security Pass, you may obtain a One-Time Security Pass to remove classified materials/magnetic media or admit or remove prohibited items from an NSA installation. These passes may be obtained from designated personnel in your work element who have been given authority to issue them. The issuing official must also contact the Security Operations Center (SOC) to obtain approval for the admission or removal of a Class I prohibited item.

When there is an official need to remove government property which is not magnetic media, or a prohibited or classified item, a One-Time Property Pass is used. This type of pass (which is not a Security Pass) may be obtained from your element custodial property officer. A Property Pass is also to be used when an individual is removing personal property which might be reasonably be mistaken for unclassified Government property. This pass is surrendered to the Security Protective Officer at the post where the material is being removed. Use of this pass does not preclude inspection of the item at the perimeter control point by the Security Protective Officer or Security professionals to ensure that the pass is being used correctly.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.