Blue-haired, red-eyed quiet girl in the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. Voice played by seiyuu Megumi Hayashibara. When she actually talks, that is.

Warning possible spoilers ahead (if you haven't already been spoiled by the writeup above).

The First Children, and dedicated pilot of Eva-00. A young girl who apparently lacks emotions. Her body was created from the salvaged remains of Yui Ikari after Yui was taken into the Eva, and numerous Rei clones were then prepared in Terminal Dogma so that when one Rei dies she can be replaced by another. The present Rei is the third. The first was killed by Dr. Naoko Akagi, and the second died in battle against the 16th Angel. Although the personalities of these three Reis differ from one another, this is due to environmental factors. Their soul is one and the same, and it appears to have been that of Lilith. At the final stage of the Instrumentality Project, Rei betrayed Gendou Ikari, returned to Lilith of her own judgment and entrusted the future to Gendou's son - Shinji Ikari. Birth date: unknown.

Source: The End of Evangelion : Glossary contained within The End of Evangelion - Theatrical Program.

A quote from Rei Ayanami:

"Will Life ever stop playing games with my courage? My coldness upsets many, but it is my only security. How fragile is my heart if I am to face the world alone? Thousands of smiles won't brighen the mood that is forlorn. How doubtful the faces of others, when I see glimpses of fading lies in their eye? How much I wish to trust freely, like a silver boat on the wide ocean glides. How naive my mind is to believe."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.