In a hangout or crowd, the people who form the main core of participants, patrons, or members. They are just always there. You can just expect to find them there regularly.

A customer who comes into a restaurant or retail store on a "regular" basis. Regulars help to foster a feeling of community in local businesses. They are a good thing.

The way one orders coffee to go in New York City if one wants two creams and two sugars.

When I first moved from NYC to my current place of residence, I presumed that the whole world knew what “regular” coffee was. I stopped into a local deli and proceeded to order a large “regular “coffee to go. I was somewhat taken aback when the clerk, through no fault of their own, looked at me as though I was speaking a foreign language. (Which I guess, I was) I then had to explain the terminology and my lack of knowledge of local customs.

Just another sign that illustrates the cultural differences between NYC and most of the rest of the country.

Oh yeah, I take my coffee black now.

Reg"u*lar (-l?r), a. [L. regularis, fr. regula a rule, fr. regere to guide, to rule: cf. F. r'egulier. See Rule.]

1.

Conformed to a rule; agreeable to an established rule, law, principle, or type, or to established customary forms; normal; symmetrical; as, a regular verse in poetry; a regular piece of music; a regular verb; regular practice of law or medicine; a regular building.

2.

Governed by rule or rules; steady or uniform in course, practice, or occurence; not subject to unexplained or irrational variation; returning at stated intervals; steadily pursued; orderlly; methodical; as, the regular succession of day and night; regular habits.

3.

Constituted, selected, or conducted in conformity with established usages, rules, or discipline; duly authorized; permanently organized; as, a regular meeting; a regular physican; a regular nomination; regular troops.

4.

Belonging to a monastic order or community; as, regular clergy, in distinction dfrom the secular clergy.

5.

Thorough; complete; unmitigated; as, a regular humbug.

[Colloq.]

6. Bot. & Zool.

Having all the parts of the same kind alike in size and shape; as, a regular flower; a regular sea urchin.

7. Crystallog.

Same as Isometric.

Regular polygon Geom., a plane polygon which is both equilateral and equiangular. -- Regular polyhedron Geom., a polyhedron whose faces are equal regular polygons. There are five regular polyhedrons, -- the tetrahedron, the hexahedron, or cube, the octahedron, the dodecahedron, and the icosahedron. -- Regular sales Stock Exchange, sales of stock deliverable on the day after the transaction. -- Regular troops, troops of a standing or permanent army; -- opposed to militia.<-- or opposed to reserves -->

Syn. -- Normal; orderly; methodical. See Normal.

 

© Webster 1913.


Reg"u*lar (r?g"?*l?r), n. [LL. regularis: cf. F. r'egulier. See Regular, a.]

1. R. C. Ch.

A member of any religious order or community who has taken the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience, and who has been solemnly recognized by the church.

Bp. Fitzpatrick.

2. Mil.

A soldier belonging to a permanent or standing army; -- chiefly used in the plural.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.