Rebif is an interferon beta- 1a designed to function like the natural interferons in your system. As a protein, it has antiviral properties and helps instruct the body's immune system. Rebif is designed to slow the course of relapsing-remitting Multiple Sclerosis. It is not a cure, but has been shown to reduce inflammation and damage to the nervous system.

It is the only medication proven to reduce median active T2 lesions by 78% and unique active lesions by 88%. It also has been proven to reduce the mean number of relapses by 32%. Rebif also delays disability progression by 30%. It has reduced the need for hospitalization by 48% and the need for steriod treatment by 46%.

It is important to note that MS patients may still experience symptoms and flare-ups during treatment. This does not mean that the medication is not working. Again, Rebif is not a cure. It can delay the progression of the disease but cannot stop it. Rebif is indicated to decrease the number of exacerbations and to delay physical disability.

Rebif is injected subcutaneously three times a week. This keeps a steady level of interferon in the system. Side effects vary, but may include: flu-like symptoms (fever and muscle aches), low white blood cell count, injection site reactions, and increased liver enzyme values. Cases of depression have also been reported in connection with the use of Rebif.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.