A little known fact is that Radical Dreamers is the actual sequel to Chrono Trigger, not Chrono Cross as many believe. At least in terms of release dates. Radical Dreamers came out on the Super Famicom (Japanese SNES), but never made it over to the States. While Chrono Cross does take up after Chrono Trigger, there is some plot interaction and development] that occurs in Radical Dreamers. Some of this has been incorporated into the rerelease of Chrono Trigger for the psx in Japan, by adding new endings that explain, or at least hint at some of the developments that will be taken up again in Chrono Cross. Squaresoft actually gives a shout out to Radical Dreamers in Chrono Cross, when Serge is in Chronopolis. He finds a diary, and the explanation that pops up when you hit the action button is taken from Radical Dreamers.

For more information, check out http://demiforce.parodius.com/rd/. The web page has information about a fan translation in the works. The coding has been done; now all they need is translators.

Platform Super Famicom (via Satellaview)
Release Date JP: 1996
Developer Square
Publisher St. GIGA
ESRB N/A

Radical Dreamers is the sequel to Chrono Trigger and the prequel to Chrono Cross. It was released in Japan over the Satellaview satellite game network, and never released in America. It has recently been translated; the patch can be downloaded at http://radicaldreamers.sourceforge.net/.

The game is pseudo-text based, meaning that while the game is displayed through still images, text, and a few pixel-tacular animations, input is made through selecting choices from a list rather than inputting commands. There is also a time limit on the choices; if you don't pick one fast enough, the game will use an alternate choice, usually the one where Kid and Magil berate Serge for being impatient.

Warning: Spoiler Alert!
There are only a few characters in the game and most can be recognized from Chrono Cross. Serge, Kid, and Magil are journeying to Viper Mansion, where Kid's longtime enemy Lynx is in possesion of the Frozen Flame, a jewel rumored to have magical properties. Serge, Kid, and Lynx are not the same Serge, Kid, and Lynx from Chrono Cross. You will know what I mean when you play it. Magil, on the other hand, appears to be either Magus from Chrono Trigger and has somehow found his way into the Radical Dreamers universe, or is a man whose life has closely paralleled Magus's.

You play the part of Serge, a fellow who has wound up traveling about the countryside with Kid, who is an infamous thief and has an Australian/English accent, and Magil, a wizard that follows Kid around. Serge doesn't really know why, and gathers that Kid doesn't really know herself.

The game starts off with the party entering the castle. As they explore the manor, more and more backstory is meted out, usually nicely woven into the conversations they have. Hints of Magil's real identity are placed here and there; Serge's and Kid's romance begins to run its course, and Kid's and Lynx's rivalry is revealed. Lynx picks up a scar similar to his analog's in Chrono Cross.

All in all, the game was rather good. It's only two or three hours, but if you're a Chrono Trigger/Cross fan, this is highly recommended. Just seeing the exchange between Serge and Magil about the Masamune is worth it, but the ending is where it really shines. Tons of connections suddenly spring to life, connecting all three games together.

Verdict: Incredible if you know the story from CT and CC, nice to take up an hour or two otherwise.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.