I'm interested in the RAF as an Officer, what happens now?

1. Initial Talk at the AFCO (Armed Force Careers Office). You go to your AFCO and chat to the staff there. They'll give you the right brochures and ascertain whether you are qualified to apply for the given branches. You don't need to know anything other than the fact you are interested, they will give you as much information and advice as you want.

2. Officer Presentation. You spend several hours at the AFCO and recieve information about the RAF, The RAF/Officer Way of Life, The Selction Process and Initial Officer Training. BE WARNED - many of the questions that you'll later get asked in interview can be answered from the information given during the presentation. TAKE LOTS OF NOTES. Especially about OASC and IOT (you need to know these in great detail). Finally, ask loads of questions...this isn't a time to be shy!

3. AFCO Interview. The first stage of the selection process proper. The interview lasts between 30 min and an hour. They will ask about you family background, education (know your grades!), jobs you've done, hobbies, sports, when you've had reponsibility, why you want to join the RAF, why you want to be an Officer, why you want to do the branch/es you've chosen, what happens at OASC, what you do at IOT, what you do for your Branch training and what you will do as a Junior Officer in your branch. Sometimes they will ask about Military topics (overseas bases, deployments, aircraft etc) Top Tips....prepare really well, be very confident and SELL YOURSELF. If you pass this they will send you to OASC....

4. OASC. (Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre) 4 days at RAF Cranwell. PART ONE is Aptitude Test, Medical and Interview (very hard interview). If you pass Part One, you will go on to complete PART TWO. Part Two is Discussion Exercise, Fitness Test, Individual Problem Solving, Group Problem Solving, Leaderless Practical Exercise, Leadership Exercise and a final Interview.

So what should I do to prepare?

A. SELL YOURSELF. Analysis the things you have done (work, hobbies etc) and use these to demonstrate the qualities that you think they are looking for (leadership, ruggedness, adventurous, active etc).

B. Do your RESEARCH. They will expect you to have a detailed knowledge about current affairs, the military, the RAF, OASC, Officer Training, Specialist Training and the job itself. You MUST research these in detail. In interview, be concise and accurate. You CANNOT blag your way through selection...if you don't prepare you will look a fool say "I don't know" over and over again in an interview.

C. Get FIT. You need to score EXCELLENT on the Bleep Test. This means that you need to go out running on a regular basis. Can't be bothered? Then you haven't got sufficient motivation to join.

D. Be YOURSELF. Don't pretend to be something you are not. They'll spot it a mile away and you'll fail for it. It is a MYTH that you need a posh accent etc. If you have the qualities, you'll pass.

E. Be CONFIDENT. If you pass, you'll be an Officer within 9 months. You'll be in charge of people (experienced, intelligent people). You need bags of confidence to pull that off.

F. Practise your MATHS. The problem solving exercises and aptitude tests require a strong ability to metal arithmatic QUICKLY and IN YOUR HEAD.

G. Develop your LEADERSHIP. Take any opportunity to put yourself into a position of responsibility, make decisions and motivate other people to achieve things.

H. Decide WHY you want a Commission. It's not an easy job...why do you want to do it?

I. PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE....and when you think you've done enough...prepare some more. DO NOT underestimate OASC!!!

Are there any requirments?

Yes, these can be found at http://www.rafcareers.co.uk

What is IOT?

Initial Officer Training is held at Cranwell for a period of 24 weeks. This is due to change to 30 weeks in November 2005 to 30 weeks in 10 week blocks.

IOT is split into phases as well; Basic Phase is weeks 1-4, and is basic military skills. 5-11 is the Leadership Phase, ending in Field Leadership Camp of a week and a half. 13-18 form the Academic Phase, then 18-20 is Carousel, where the squadron splits into thirds and does adventurous training, a station visit, and a management simulator week. Then you do a week's military skills to prepare for the final exercise, which is a week away, called Exercise Peacekeeper. Then you have Champagne Monday (find out if you're gradding or being recoursed) followed by 2 weeks of drinking and practicing your drill. Then graduation and onto specialist trade training.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.