This guide only applies to paper bags, and some stores have special things that I don't have here. When in doubt, ask the checker, they should know what they're doing.
Step 0: Separate groceries into categories*
Step 1: Ask customer if they would like paper or plastic bags. Alternately, ask them "Plastic or Paper?" and watch their faces.
Step 2: Put Squares into corners of bags, and up against bag walls, to help the bags keep their shape.
Step 3: Put Unbreakables in between the squares, to give the bag a base. Make sure you aren't being dumb and counting glass as an unbreakable without thinking about it. See, for our purposes, glass IS unbreakable, So long as it's in the center of the bag, and there are no 2 pieces of glass touching. The clinking is what damages them the most. So, if you are going to have 2 glass items in the same bag, put one in a mini bag inside of the larger bag. If you have a zillion glass items, get a box and put 'em all in it, and disregard the rest of this node.
Step 4: Put Squishies, Breakables, and Eggs on top of everything.
Step 5: Set bag gently in cart. Make sure handles are Up.
Step 6: Get new bag. Put Produce in layers, with apples, zucchini and such on the bottom, bell peppers and such in the middle, and lettuce and tomatoes on the top of it all.
Step 7: Ask the customer if they would like their meats in a separate plastic bag. If so, place meats in separate plastic bag.
Step 8: Put Frozen's into freezer bags, and place with other cold items.
Step 9: Put breakables onto Squishies,and push them in to the bag a bit, so they won't fall out. Disregard #9 if breakables will damage the Squishies.
Step 10: Put all Large Groceries into the cart. Don't worry about bagging them. Each one is one bag, just save bags and don't bag 'em.
Step 11: Put all items that are toxic in bags that are separate to all other bags. Oddly enough, put all soap in these bags with the toxics... Apparently soap leaves a really nappy taste on all produce, just by being in the same bag... start at the beginning again until your mind numbing shift is over.

For even MORE dividing, you need to segment your categories even more...
All groceries (for bagging) can be divided into these categories:
Meat By this I am talking of all cuts, and burger typed things. Not individually wrapped items, or plastic wrapped items, such as hot-dogs, or snack ham in packages.
Produce This can be subdivided into: A: Hard Produce: Apples, Corn, Potatoes
B: Soft Produce: Plums, Peaches, Tomatoes
C: Separate Produce: Pumpkins, Really Fucking Huge Zucchini, that kinda thing
Glass This is pretty self explanatory. This is any product in Glass Packaging.
Squishies All products that would be hurt by having things put on top of them (such as potato chips, bread, some cheeses.) that don't need to be packaged separately (like cake).
Uncrushables Cans, Plastic bottles, Jugs 'o stuff. Invincible groceries.
Squares All products that are naturally square, or pre-packaged in square containers. Some examples being small milks, Rice-A-Roni type things, and mini-pizzas.
Frozen All products that are kept in Freezer instead of Fridge or are stored at room temperature, excepting Ice Cream.
Breakables All items that you have to be freakishly careful with, such as glasses, or eggs.
Nonbaggables/seperates All products that you cannot bag with other products, due to danger or size. Examples including cake, Borax, hot foods, large pet-food bags.

You want to be bagging as quickly as possible as well, so make sure you use both hands taking items from rest, and putting 'em in bags.

Some stores also want you to work more than one cashier, so after every customer, check registers near you that have cashiers and no baggers. If someone is unloading a LOT of groceries and you have low flow on your cashier, change to the high flow register...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.