In most Canadian provinces (Alberta and Quebec being notable exceptions), an exam given at the end of the school year for certain grade 12 (or equivalent) courses. The same exam is given to students throughout the province, and the one exam counts for a large part (around 40%) of the final mark for the course. This allows universities to evaluate students from different schools and regions on a more or less equal basis.

Generally, "core" courses, such as English, History, Math and Sciences are provincially examinable, while elective classes, such as Art, Creative Writing, Music and Technical Studies are not. (The exception is "AP", Advanced Placement courses, which are generally beyond the normal grade 12 level. These have "AP" tests, but not provincial exams.) Most Canadian universities will evaluate applying students based on a grade point average made up mostly or entirely of provincially examinable courses.

"Provincials" are usually given in June at the end of the school year, but are offered in other sittings throughout the year for correspondence students, adult night students, and summer school students or students who are upgrading a previously taken course. Most exams are 2-3 hours long. The exams are not marked by teachers at the school where the student has taken the course, to avoid any partiality.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.