This is an affliction found most commonly amongst early middle aged men who tend to be primarily (although by no means exclusively) in the buliding game.

In brief the affliction forces the aging mobile phone user to purchase an unecessarily large cell phone, probably because "You can't even see those new fangled things!". The afflictions second phase forces the owner of the phone to attach the optional belt clip and protective cover before tucking in his shirt and proudly dispaying his monstrosity of a telephone slightly to the right or left of his belt buckle. A sympton that occasionally accompanies the disease is to prevent the sufferer from taking off the annoying key sounds made when dialling a number.

I have to admit that however much this type of 'prominent mobile displayer' annoys me, that my dislike of this social stereotype is entirely irrational and based on nothing more than the cynicism and snobbishness that accompanies being a young, urban person living in a big city.

I can see for example that the PMD has far more valid reasons for his actions than I do in that;

1) A man in the building game (I'm basing this entire sterotype on my father/stepfather and all their friends) sees the phone as an essential tool of the trade rather than the status symbolising plaything that myself and my contemporaries tend to see them. However much I panic everytime I leave my house without it I can't honestly say that it is an 'essential' item in the true sense of the word)

2) The protective case and belt clip do actually prevent damage and provide an easy access to the phone.

3) The larger the phone the less likely you are to lose or accidentally snap/break it.

Mind you, after saying all of this it still looks stupid and silly and since when has being sensible been cool?. I'd rather have a phone that fits snugly into the palm of a new born babies hand, tells me the weather forecast on the moon, checks my heart rate and arranges my dental appointments for me any day of the week!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.